Finding Equilibrium concentrations with added solutes?

• Thread starter Melvincalvin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equilibrium
In summary, Ryan Schmidt provided a table of equilibrium concentrations for the reaction HF(aq) ↔ H+ + F- and explained how to use it to determine x and equilibrium concentrations.
Melvincalvin
HF(aq) ↔ H+ + F-

Determine equilibirum concentrations with Initital concentrations and Kc.

Kc = 7.2 x 10-4
[HF] = 1.00M
[NaF] = 0.50M

I understand how to do an ICE table and put together questions, but what do you do with [NaF] when it is not part of the chemical equation? How to I factor it into it? Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What you have to remember is that ionic salts dissociate into their ions when in solution.

Consider the dissociation reaction of the NaF:

NaF → F- + Na+

Hopefully that should help you understand what to do.

Ryan Schmidt said:
What you have to remember is that ionic salts dissociate into their ions when in solution.

Consider the dissociation reaction of the N
NaF → F- + Na+

Hopefully that should help you understand what to do.

So the if it all dissociates then the initial concentration for F- should be 0.5M. I use that molarity but it still doesn't seem to work out. I can't seem to get anything to equal the equilibrium constant.

Melvincalvin said:
So the if it all dissociates then the initial concentration for F- should be 0.5M. I use that molarity but it still doesn't seem to work out. I can't seem to get anything to equal the equilibrium constant.
It is possible that I am misunderstanding. You were asked to find the equilibrium concentrations correct?

so you should have an ice table similar to this:
HF(aq) ↔ H+ + F-
i 1M 0M 0.5M
c -x +x +x
e 1-x x 0.5+x

from here you should be able to create your equilibrium expression of Kc = [products]e/[reactants]e

then if substitute in your expressions from ice table and the equilibrium constant you should be able to calculate x and then determine all of your equilibrium concentrations.

You should also note that it is probably acceptable to assume that 1-x ≈ 1 and that 0.5+x ≈ 0.5. this makes your calculations much simpler.

Melvincalvin said:
I can't seem to get anything to equal the equilibrium constant.

You were already given the equilibrium constant. you are solving for the equilibrium concentrations are you not?

I can setup my ice table like that fine, but where does [NaF] come into play, do I just add 0.50M to F- when I have equilibrium concentrations??

thank you for the help btw :) !

Melvincalvin said:
but where does [NaF] come into play

Have you checked the ICE table Ryan Schmidt gave you? 0.5 is already in the I (initial) line, taken care of.

@Ryan Schmidt - please don't go too far with help, by forum rules we guide people to the answer, not give it to them.

1. What is the definition of equilibrium concentrations in a solution?

Equilibrium concentrations refer to the point at which the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction in a solution. This results in a stable concentration of reactants and products in the solution.

2. How do you calculate equilibrium concentrations in a solution?

To calculate equilibrium concentrations, you need to know the initial concentrations of all reactants and products, as well as the equilibrium constant (K) for the reaction. You can then use the equilibrium constant expression to solve for the equilibrium concentrations of the reactants and products.

3. Can the addition of solutes affect equilibrium concentrations in a solution?

Yes, the addition of solutes can shift the equilibrium concentrations in a solution. This is because adding more solutes changes the ratio of reactants and products, which in turn affects the equilibrium constant for the reaction.

4. How does temperature affect equilibrium concentrations in a solution?

Temperature can also shift equilibrium concentrations in a solution. An increase in temperature favors the endothermic reaction (absorbs heat) while a decrease in temperature favors the exothermic reaction (releases heat).

5. What factors can influence equilibrium concentrations in a solution?

Aside from temperature and the addition of solutes, other factors that can affect equilibrium concentrations in a solution include pressure, volume, and catalysts. Changes in these factors can alter the equilibrium constant and shift the equilibrium towards the reactants or products.