Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Equilibrium concentrations with added solutes?

1. Nov 19, 2014 #1
    HF(aq) ↔ H+ + F-

Determine equilibirum concentrations with Initital concentrations and Kc.

Kc = 7.2 x 10-4
    [HF] = 1.00M
    [NaF] = 0.50M

I understand how to do an ICE table and put together questions, but what do you do with [NaF] when it is not part of the chemical equation? How to I factor it into it? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2014 #2
    What you have to remember is that ionic salts dissociate into their ions when in solution.

Consider the dissociation reaction of the NaF:

NaF → F- + Na+

Hopefully that should help you understand what to do.

4. Nov 19, 2014 #3
    So the if it all dissociates then the initial concentration for F- should be 0.5M. I use that molarity but it still doesn't seem to work out. I can't seem to get anything to equal the equilibrium constant.

5. Nov 19, 2014 #4
    It is possible that I am misunderstanding. You were asked to find the equilibrium concentrations correct?

so you should have an ice table similar to this:
    HF(aq) ↔ H+ + F-
    i 1M 0M 0.5M
    c -x +x +x
    e 1-x x 0.5+x

from here you should be able to create your equilibrium expression of Kc = [products]e/[reactants]e

then if substitute in your expressions from ice table and the equilibrium constant you should be able to calculate x and then determine all of your equilibrium concentrations.

You should also note that it is probably acceptable to assume that 1-x ≈ 1 and that 0.5+x ≈ 0.5. this makes your calculations much simpler.

You were already given the equilibrium constant. you are solving for the equilibrium concentrations are you not?

6. Nov 19, 2014 #5
    I can setup my ice table like that fine, but where does [NaF] come into play, do I just add 0.50M to F- when I have equilibrium concentrations??

7. Nov 19, 2014 #6
    thank you for the help btw :) !

8. Nov 19, 2014 #7

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Have you checked the ICE table Ryan Schmidt gave you? 0.5 is already in the I (initial) line, taken care of.

@Ryan Schmidt - please don't go too far with help, by forum rules we guide people to the answer, not give it to them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook