Equilibrium problem missing 2 problems

• Thread starter internexus
  • Start date

Homework Statement

In the figure is an individual laying flat with his leg in cast that is elevated. The question states...

"The leg and cast in the figure weigh 220N. Determine the weight w2 and the angle * needed so that no force is exerted on the hip joint by the leg plus the cast.

In the picture the 220N weight is going downward which would be the normal force. The left hand pulley has a weight of 110N on it at an angle of 40* I need to solve for the w2 (weight on the opposite side) and come up with the degree of the angle as well.

I am unsure how to even lay this out when I am not given either both of the angles and solving for the weight in N on both sides... I would appreciate someone getting me started in the correct direction. Thanks.

Answers and Replies

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
welcome to pf!

hi internexus! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have a degree: ° and a theta: θ :wink:)

i'm not sure what the set-up is, but i assume there's two ropes and the weight …

so that's three forces which have to add to zero …

you can either do a vector triangle or take x and y components …

for the vector triangle, you know two of the lengths and one of the angles, so that should enable you to find the other side and angles (using the sine and/or cosine formulas)

for the components, call the angle θ, write both x and y equations, and solve for θ …

show us what you get :smile: