Equilibrium Problem; Senior High School Level

In summary, the equilibrium concentrations of the reactant and products are 0.530 mol/L and 0.619 mol/L, respectively.
General_Sax

Homework Statement

The reaction SO2CL2(g) == SO2(g)+ Cl2(g)
was studied in a 5.00 L container at 100C. Initially, 2.65 mol of Cl2(g) and 4.85 mol of SO2CL2(g) were present in the container. The equilibrium constant is 2.60. Calculate the equilibrium concentrations of the reactant and products.

[CL]initial = 2.65 mol / 5.00 L = 0.530 mol/L
[SOCL]initial = 0.970 mol/L

Homework Equations

aA + bB == cC + dD

kc = [A]a * b / [C]c * [D]d

Initial [ ] + Change_in [ ] = Equilibrium [ ]

[ ] = concentration (mol/L)

The Attempt at a Solution

I was taught a method to solve these problems that utilizes a "I.C.E. table". To me it resembles a matrix (at least I think it does).

[SOCL] ||| [SO] ||| [CL]

Initial: 0.970 ||| 0 ||| 0.530

Equilibrium: 0.970 - y ||| y ||| 0.530 + y

Kc = 2.60

Because the constant terms aren't 1000 times greater than the equilibrium constant, I can't simplify the equation by substituting 0.970 for the equilibrium concentration for SOCL.
So I have this to work with:

Kc = y * (0.530 +y) / ( 0.970 - y )

So I do this:

2.6 * ( 0.970 - y ) = 0.530y + y2

All I can see is a quadratic equation, so after a lil' bit of tinkering I set up a quadratic equation.

y = -2.6 +- (sqrt)[14.728] / 2

y = 0.619 mol/L

However, if that was true then I should be able to check that value against the equilibrium constant of 2.60. I don't want to rewrite another equation, but if you substitute in the new values for the equilibrium concentrations into the original formula you don't end up with 2.60, but instead you arrive at value of approximately 2.02.

Can someone please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Great after all that work typing my problem up, I've solved my problem!

If anyone is searching threads, for aid with one of their own problems, remember to be careful with your algebra.

General_Sax said:
Great after all that work typing my problem up, I've solved my problem!

That's one of the reasons why we want you to show you did. And that's no joke, you will be surprised how often people realize what they did wrong when they try to present their work to others.

Glad it worked for you.

What is equilibrium?

Equilibrium is a state of balance in a system where the forward and reverse reactions occur at equal rates. This means that the concentrations of reactants and products remain constant over time.

What factors can affect equilibrium?

Several factors can affect equilibrium, including temperature, pressure, concentration, and the presence of a catalyst. Changes in these factors can shift the equilibrium position and alter the concentrations of reactants and products.

How is equilibrium calculated?

Equilibrium can be calculated using the equilibrium constant (K). This value is determined by dividing the product of the concentrations of the products by the product of the concentrations of the reactants, each raised to a power equal to their coefficients in the balanced chemical equation.

What is Le Chatelier's principle?

Le Chatelier's principle states that when a system at equilibrium experiences a change in temperature, pressure, or concentration, the system will shift in a direction that minimizes the effect of the change. For example, an increase in temperature will cause an endothermic reaction to shift in the forward direction, while a decrease in temperature will cause an exothermic reaction to shift in the reverse direction.

How can equilibrium be disturbed?

Equilibrium can be disturbed by changes in temperature, pressure, concentration, or the addition of a catalyst. These changes can shift the equilibrium position and alter the concentrations of reactants and products, ultimately affecting the overall equilibrium of the system.