1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equilibrium problem (torque and forces)

1. Oct 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    When a person stands on tiptoe (a strenuous position), the position of the foot is as shown in Figure (a). The total gravitational force on the body, vector F g, is supported by the force vector n exerted by the floor on the toes of one foot. A mechanical model of the situation is shown in Figure (b), where vector T is the force exerted by the Achilles tendon on the foot and vector R is the force exerted by the tibia on the foot. Find the values of vector T , vector R , and θ when vector F g = 685 N. (Do not assume that vector R is parallel to vector T .)

2. Relevant equations
    1) Sum torque = 0 : (0.07m*T) - (0.18m*685N*cos theta) = 0.
    2) Sum forces in y-direction = 0: 685N + (T*cos theta) - (R*cos 15) = 0
    3) Sum forces in x-direction = 0: (R*sin 15) - (T*sin theta) = 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solved sum torque = 0 to get T= 1761.43 cos theta.

Put T into sum forces in y-direction to get
    R = [1761.43 (cos theta)(sin theta)]/sin 15

Then put this into sum forces in x-direction. It got really messy, I can post what I have but am not sure how to solve this. Am I going in the right direction here?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2008 #2
    Anyone? I'm trying to finish this bad boy for tomorrow and would appreciate the help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?