Equilibrium Pulley Tension Problem

In summary, the question asks to find the tension T in a system of pulleys that is in equilibrium and has weightless and frictionless pulleys. Using the equation w=mg, the person attempted to solve for T2 and T3 separately before finding the overall T. However, they made an error in signage and the correct answer for T is 24N.
livewire852
Hello! I've been trying to understand this one for a while now, and think there might be a general mental block with regards to pulleys, tension etc.

Homework Statement

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y5...tions/?action=view&current=pulleyquestion.jpg
Question: "The system is in equilibrium and the pulleys are weightless and frictionless. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. Find the tension T. Answer in units of N."

Homework Equations

w=mg?
Not really sure about these

The Attempt at a Solution

Right, so so far I've tried solving for T2 and T3 separately then solving the big T. Since the pulley on the right has only the 14N mass acting on it, then T2 should be 14N/2, or 7N right? Then for the second pulley on the left, I got
T3 + T2 - 19 = 0, which would make T3 = 12. Presumably this would make T = 24 N, but this isn't correct!
I imagine I am making some heinous oversight or massive assumption. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
livewire852 said:
Hello! I've been trying to understand this one for a while now, and think there might be a general mental block with regards to pulleys, tension etc.

Homework Statement

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y5...tions/?action=view&current=pulleyquestion.jpg
Question: "The system is in equilibrium and the pulleys are weightless and frictionless. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. Find the tension T. Answer in units of N."

Homework Equations

w=mg?
Not really sure about these

The Attempt at a Solution

Right, so so far I've tried solving for T2 and T3 separately then solving the big T. Since the pulley on the right has only the 14N mass acting on it, then T2 should be 14N/2, or 7N right?
right!
Then for the second pulley on the left, I got
T3 + T2 - 19 = 0, which would make T3 = 12. Presumably this would make T = 24 N, but this isn't correct!
Tension forces always pull away from the objects on which they act. Correct your error in signage.

Hello! It seems like you are on the right track with your attempt at solving this problem. However, there are a few things you may want to consider in order to arrive at the correct solution.

First, it is important to remember that in a system in equilibrium, the net force and net torque must both equal zero. This means that the sum of all the forces acting on the system must be balanced. In this case, you have correctly identified that the tension T2 in the right pulley is 7N. However, you also need to take into account the weight of the 14N mass and the tension T1 in the left pulley. This means that the equation for the sum of forces in the vertical direction should be:

T1 + T2 - 14 = 0

Solving for T1, we get T1 = 7N. This means that the tension in the left pulley is also 7N.

Next, you need to consider the forces acting on the 19N mass. This mass is being pulled down by the tension T3, but it is also being pulled up by the tension T1. This means that the equation for the sum of forces in the vertical direction for this mass should be:

T3 - T1 - 19 = 0

Solving for T3, we get T3 = 26N.

Finally, in order to find the tension T in the rope, we need to consider the forces acting on the pulley itself. The tension T1 is pulling up on the pulley, while the tensions T2 and T3 are pulling down on the pulley. This means that the equation for the sum of forces in the vertical direction for the pulley should be:

T - T1 - T2 - T3 = 0

Substituting in our values for T1, T2, and T3, we get:

T - 7 - 7 - 26 = 0

Solving for T, we get T = 40N.

In conclusion, the tension T in the rope is 40N. It is important to carefully consider all the forces acting on the system in order to arrive at the correct solution. I hope this helps!

1. What is the concept of equilibrium in a pulley tension problem?

The concept of equilibrium in a pulley tension problem refers to the state where all the forces acting on the pulley system are balanced, resulting in no acceleration or movement. This means that the tension in the ropes or cables connected to the pulley is equal on both sides.

2. How do you determine the tension in a pulley system?

The tension in a pulley system can be determined by using the principle of equilibrium, which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object must be equal to zero. This means that the weight of the object being lifted must be equal to the combined tension in the ropes or cables connected to the pulley.

3. What factors affect the tension in a pulley system?

The tension in a pulley system can be affected by several factors, including the weight of the object being lifted, the number of pulleys in the system, the angle at which the ropes or cables are attached to the pulleys, and the friction between the ropes or cables and the pulleys.

4. How does the number of pulleys affect the tension in a pulley system?

The more pulleys there are in a pulley system, the less tension there will be on the ropes or cables. This is because the weight of the object being lifted is divided among the multiple ropes or cables, resulting in a decrease in tension in each individual rope or cable.

5. Can the tension in a pulley system ever be greater than the weight of the object being lifted?

No, the tension in a pulley system can never be greater than the weight of the object being lifted. This is due to the principle of equilibrium, which states that the forces must be balanced for the system to be in a state of equilibrium. If the tension were to be greater than the weight of the object, the system would be unbalanced and would result in acceleration or movement.