1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equilibrium Pulley Tension Problem

1. Nov 10, 2008 #1
    Hello! I've been trying to understand this one for a while now, and think there might be a general mental block with regards to pulleys, tension etc.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y5...tions/?action=view&current=pulleyquestion.jpg
    Question: "The system is in equilibrium and the pulleys are weightless and frictionless. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. Find the tension T. Answer in units of N."

2. Relevant equations
    w=mg?
    Not really sure about these

3. The attempt at a solution
    Right, so so far I've tried solving for T2 and T3 separately then solving the big T. Since the pulley on the right has only the 14N mass acting on it, then T2 should be 14N/2, or 7N right? Then for the second pulley on the left, I got
    T3 + T2 - 19 = 0, which would make T3 = 12. Presumably this would make T = 24 N, but this isn't correct!
    I imagine I am making some heinous oversight or massive assumption. Thanks in advance!!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2008 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

right!
    Tension forces always pull away from the objects on which they act. Correct your error in signage.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?