1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiple Pulleys and Multiple Weights Problem

1. Sep 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve for T (The force required to keep the pulleys at equilibrium)

See attached image for pulley setup.

2. Relevant equations

W2>W1
    N=mg

3. The attempt at a solution

Currently I have drawn out all the forces that act on each pulley, and I know there is a way to set up the tensions to solve for T, but since no numerical values are given its a little more complicated.
    After applying force diagrams to the hanging weights I got T1=W1g and T3=W2g (with T1 being the tension between Pulley 1 and weight 1, and T3 being the tension between Pulley 2 and weight Which would mean T2=(W2g-W1g)/2, and T2 is the same tension as T, meaning T2 is equivalent to the downward force needed to keep the system at equilibrium. Is this the correct solution?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2013 #2
    for some reason the attachment wouldnt load in original post so here it is again.

Attached Files:

4. Sep 25, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's right, except that if the Ws are weights, not masses, then you don't multiply by g.

5. Sep 25, 2013 #4
    Okay makes sense, thanks for confirming.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted