Equilibrium the ultimate conversion

1. Oct 13, 2013 #1
    Hello,

I am wondering conceptually why the maximum conversion of products is made at chemical equilibrium? I was thinking if you use le chatelier to push towards products, the conversion will be higher.

Sorry if this sounds too vague, my prof's lecture was called "Equilibrium: The ultimate conversion''

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Le Chatelier reaches a new equilibrium ... so the result still holds.

4. Oct 13, 2013 #3
    Didn't think about that, thank you. But can't you be past equilibrium, and during that time beyond equilibrium, the conversion is higher?

5. Oct 13, 2013 #4

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But what happens under le Chatelier? The principle is clear: their is a resistance to the change, and this resistance results in a new equilibrium.

Consider an exothermic reaction - there is a certain amount of heat given off. But if we add just a bit more of something and there was no resistance (i.e., le Chatelier fails!) then you would obtain more heat ... and add a bit more, and you get more heat ... seems like it cheats on the first law of thermodynamics!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted