Equilibrium the ultimate conversion

1. Hello,

I am wondering conceptually why the maximum conversion of products is made at chemical equilibrium? I was thinking if you use le chatelier to push towards products, the conversion will be higher.

Sorry if this sounds too vague, my prof's lecture was called "Equilibrium: The ultimate conversion''

2. jcsd
  3. UltrafastPED

UltrafastPED 1,919
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Le Chatelier reaches a new equilibrium ... so the result still holds.

4. Didn't think about that, thank you. But can't you be past equilibrium, and during that time beyond equilibrium, the conversion is higher?

5. UltrafastPED

UltrafastPED 1,919
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But what happens under le Chatelier? The principle is clear: their is a resistance to the change, and this resistance results in a new equilibrium.

Consider an exothermic reaction - there is a certain amount of heat given off. But if we add just a bit more of something and there was no resistance (i.e., le Chatelier fails!) then you would obtain more heat ... and add a bit more, and you get more heat ... seems like it cheats on the first law of thermodynamics!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Draft saved Draft deleted