Equipotential Surfaces and Electric Field

In summary, the given system has equipotential surfaces with a magnitude of electric field of 559 V/m. The direction of the electric field is 63.4 degrees from the +x axis. The shortest distance one can move to undergo a change in potential of 1.50 V can be calculated using E=-V/R, with R=4sin(26.565).
ihearyourecho

Homework Statement

A given system has the equipotential surfaces shown in the figure .
http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1122530/1/Walker.20.39.jpg

A)What is the magnitude of the electric field?
B)What is the direction of the electric field? (in degrees from the +x axis)
C)What is the shortest distance one can move to undergo a change in potential of 1.50 V?

Homework Equations

E=-V/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the answer to the Part A:
E= -V/R, R=4sin(26.565)
E=559 V/M

I cannot wrap my head around the answer to Part B, though. I thought it would simply be 180-25.65, but that's wrong. Any help?

I also know how to do Part C, so just Part B would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
Answers that are also not correct are:

Nevermind, I was doing the angle perpendicular in the wrong direction. I got the answer.

What are equipotential surfaces?

Equipotential surfaces are imaginary surfaces in an electric field where the potential at every point on the surface is the same. This means that no work is required to move a charge from one point to another on the surface.

How are equipotential surfaces related to electric field?

Equipotential surfaces are perpendicular to electric field lines. This means that the direction of the electric field at any point on the surface is always tangent to the surface.

What do equipotential surfaces look like?

Equipotential surfaces can take on various shapes depending on the configuration of charges in the electric field. In a uniform electric field, they are flat and evenly spaced. In the presence of multiple charges, they can be curved or irregularly shaped.

How can equipotential surfaces be used in practical applications?

Equipotential surfaces are used to map out electric fields and determine the direction and strength of the field at any point. They are also useful in designing electrical systems to ensure that there are no potential differences that could cause damage.

How are equipotential surfaces and electric potential energy related?

Equipotential surfaces are surfaces of constant electric potential energy. This means that if a charge is moved along an equipotential surface, the change in electric potential energy will be zero.