Equipotential surfaces electric field problem

In summary, the given system has equipotential surfaces with a slope of 1.2 and a distance of 4 cm between the lines. Using the relationship between electric field and potential, the magnitude of the electric field can be found by dividing the potential difference by the distance. The direction of the electric field can be determined by using trigonometry and finding the angle theta. The shortest distance to undergo a potential change of 5.00 can be calculated using the distance between the equipotential lines and the angle theta. However, this method may not work if the electric field is not uniform.
wildredhead

Homework Statement

A given system has the equipotential surfaces shown in the figure
What is the magnitude of the electric field?
What is the direction of the electric field? (degrees from + x axis
What is the shortest distance one can move to undergo a change in potential of 5.00

Homework Equations

E= V/d

The Attempt at a Solution

I seem to be getting the same answer and its wrong I used the pythagoreon therom to find distances of each and divided the volts by the respecitive distances. I do not know what I am doing wrong I keep getting 2.24*10^2 V/m. Moreover, when I do the angle part I just do some trig and use that. Either way I try to do it and get 26.6 or 63.2. What am I doing wrong? Is the first part just the slope

Physics news on Phys.org
Where is the figure?

I can't see the figure yet either, but unless you're dealing with a uniform electric field then you can't use the equation you listed. As you said, electric field is the slope of a potential vs. position graph. If you're using calculus, it's the derivative with respect to position.

I think I uploaded it now. Sorry!
It is an attachment

Attachments

• Walker_20_39.jpg
    Walker_20_39.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 625
Slope of the equipotential lines is tan(theta) = 2/4 = 1.2.
Find theta.
Distance between the equipotential lines d is x*sin(theta). Here x = 4 cm.

SO part A is the slope = -1/2? But when I do tan^-1 (2/4) I still get 26.6. What am I doing wrong?

What is the relationship between the directions of the electric field and the equipotential lines?

1. What is an equipotential surface in an electric field?

An equipotential surface is a surface in an electric field where all points have the same electric potential. This means that no work is required to move a charge from one point to another on the surface.

2. How are equipotential surfaces related to electric fields?

Equipotential surfaces are perpendicular to the electric field lines. This means that the electric field is always tangent to the equipotential surface at any given point.

3. How do equipotential surfaces affect the movement of charged particles?

Charged particles will always move along the path of an equipotential surface because they will experience no change in potential energy. This means that they will move from a higher potential to a lower potential along the surface.

4. How are equipotential surfaces calculated?

Equipotential surfaces are calculated by using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is a constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance from the charge. By varying the values of Q and r, we can determine the potential at different points in the electric field and map out the equipotential surfaces.

5. Why are equipotential surfaces important in understanding electric fields?

Equipotential surfaces help us visualize and understand the behavior of electric fields. They also provide a useful tool for calculating the electric potential at different points in the field. Additionally, equipotential surfaces can be used to determine the direction and strength of the electric field at a given point.