1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equivalence class of 0 for the relation a ~ b iff 2a+3b is divisible by 5

1. Sep 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

~ is a equivalence relation on integers defined as:
    a~b if and only if 2a+3b is divisible by 5

What is the equivalence class of 0

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[0] = {0, 5n} n is an integer

My reasoning for choosing 0 is that if a=0 and b=0, the relation is satisfied since 2(0)+3(0) = 0 and 5 divides 0, so 0~0
    My reasoning for choosing 5n is that if a=0 and b=5n, or the other way around, then 2(0)+3(5n)=3(5n), which is a multiple of 5, and thus divisible by 5, satisfying the relation, making 0~5n

I got 0 marks for the question, but I don't know if it's because the statement isn't assembled properly, or if it's because I don't know what an equivalence class is. Please help me see my error

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In order to have an equivalence relation, we need both a ~ b and b ~ a, so we need both 2a + 3b and 2b + 3a to be divisible by 5.

RGV

4. Sep 14, 2012 #3
    In response to Ray Vickson:
    With 0 and 5n as the equivalence class for 0, wouldn't it still hold true that 0~0,5n~0 and 0~5n? Since, 2(5n)+3(0)=5(2n) and 2(0)+3(5n)=5(3n)?

5. Sep 14, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's redundant to include the zero in {0, 5n}, since if n=0, then 5n=0.

A better notation would be, [0] = {5n| n is an integer.}

Regarding Ray Vickson's comment, I agree with you.

The equivalence class of 0, is the set of all integers related to 0. I.e. it's the set of all integers, m, such the m~0 .

6. Sep 15, 2012 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What, exactly, was the question? I suspect it was to determine whether or not this was an equivalence relation and, if so find the equivalence class containing 0.

As Ray Vickson said, this is NOT an equvalence relation and so does NOT have "equivalence classes".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook