Equivalent Bending Moment due to Impact Formula?

In summary: I have a hydraulic cylinder that has a pressure, P, cross sectional area, A, and flow rate Q. The cylinder opens and closes both arms of the vice grip. The cylinder has a pressure, P, cross sectional area, A, and flow rate Q. The arm rotates on a pin connection. The force from the cylinder on the arm is a distance, L away from the pin connection. The moment on the arm the cylinder produces is, M=P*A*L. The arm has a rectangular cross sectional area, a*b. The rotational energy given to the arm by the cylinder is, U=(1/2)*Im*w^2, where I am is the mass moment of inertia
Jamie Gough
Hi guys and girls,

I've been working on this problem for a little while now but I'm not really getting the result that I want. This is what I have:

I have what is essentially a big pair of vice grips controlled by a hydraulic cylinder. The cylinder opens and closes both arms of the vice grips. The cylinder has a pressure, P, cross sectional area, A, and flow rate Q.

The arm rotates on a pin connection. The force from the cylinder on the arm is a distance, L away from the pin connection. The moment on the arm the cylinder produces is, M=P*A*L. The arm has a rectangular cross sectional area, a*b.

The rotational energy given to the arm by the cylinder is, U=(1/2)*Im*w^2, where I am is the mass moment of inertia of the arm about the pin, and w is the angular speed. w=(Q/A)*(1/L).

I know the elastic energy imparted to the arm is (1/2)*Me*theta, where theta is the angular deflection of the arm and Me is the equivalent moment produced by the impact.

So,

(1/2)*Im*w^2=(1/2)*Me*theta, where theta=Me*(theta_static/M), when theta_static is the deflection caused by M=P*A*L as a static load. We also know that M=(EI/L)*theta_static, where EI/L is the bending stiffness, and E is the Modulus of Elasticity, and I is the area moment of inertia.

Some rearranging I get:

Me= M*sqrt((Im*w^2*E*I)/(M^2*L)),

Where the impact factor, G=sqrt((Im*w^2*E*I)/(M^2*L))

I have:
Q=21 gpm,
P=2500 psi,
A=4.91 in^2,
L=10.4 in,
Im = 19.1 slug*ft*in,
a=5 in,
b=2 in,
E=30 Mpsi
I=(1/12)*a*b^3=3.3 in^4

Unfortunately, this leaves my impact factor, G=0.17. Of course the impact factor needs to be greater than or at least equal to unity. If anyone would kindly explain where I have gone wrong it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you kindly,

Jamie

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry but I cannot make any sense of this at all .

Please describe the construction and working of this device more completely and provide a drawing .

Thanks Nidum,

It's alright, I just managed to get it. I used U=PQt instead of the rotational kinetic energy and that worked much, much better.

1. What is meant by "Equivalent Bending Moment due to Impact"?

Equivalent Bending Moment due to Impact is a measure of the force exerted on a structure or object due to a sudden or rapid impact. It is calculated by multiplying the dynamic load by a factor known as the impact factor, which takes into account the duration and intensity of the impact.

2. How is the Equivalent Bending Moment due to Impact formula derived?

The formula for Equivalent Bending Moment due to Impact is derived from the principle of conservation of energy. It takes into account the kinetic energy of the impacting object and the potential energy of the structure being impacted. This formula is also based on the assumption that the impact occurs over a short duration of time, resulting in a sudden change in momentum.

3. What is the impact factor in the Equivalent Bending Moment due to Impact formula?

The impact factor is a dimensionless factor that is used to scale the dynamic load in the Equivalent Bending Moment due to Impact formula. It is based on the type of impact (e.g. drop impact, impact from a moving object), the duration of the impact, and the material properties of the impacting object and the structure being impacted.

4. How is the Equivalent Bending Moment due to Impact formula used in engineering?

The Equivalent Bending Moment due to Impact formula is used in engineering to design structures that can withstand sudden or rapid impacts. This is important in industries such as construction, automotive, and aerospace, where structures may experience impact loads from external forces. By calculating the Equivalent Bending Moment due to Impact, engineers can ensure that the structure is strong enough to withstand these impact loads and prevent failure.

5. What are some limitations of the Equivalent Bending Moment due to Impact formula?

The Equivalent Bending Moment due to Impact formula is based on certain assumptions and may not accurately represent the behavior of structures in all impact scenarios. It also does not take into account the effects of damping, which can reduce the impact force. Additionally, the impact factor may vary depending on the material properties of the impacting object and the structure being impacted, making it difficult to apply the formula in all situations.