1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equivalent Bending Moment due to Impact Formula?

1. Aug 24, 2016 #1
    Hi guys and girls,

I've been working on this problem for a little while now but I'm not really getting the result that I want. This is what I have:

I have what is essentially a big pair of vice grips controlled by a hydraulic cylinder. The cylinder opens and closes both arms of the vice grips. The cylinder has a pressure, P, cross sectional area, A, and flow rate Q.

The arm rotates on a pin connection. The force from the cylinder on the arm is a distance, L away from the pin connection. The moment on the arm the cylinder produces is, M=P*A*L. The arm has a rectangular cross sectional area, a*b.

The rotational energy given to the arm by the cylinder is, U=(1/2)*Im*w^2, where Im is the mass moment of inertia of the arm about the pin, and w is the angular speed. w=(Q/A)*(1/L).

I know the elastic energy imparted to the arm is (1/2)*Me*theta, where theta is the angular deflection of the arm and Me is the equivalent moment produced by the impact.

So,

(1/2)*Im*w^2=(1/2)*Me*theta, where theta=Me*(theta_static/M), when theta_static is the deflection caused by M=P*A*L as a static load. We also know that M=(EI/L)*theta_static, where EI/L is the bending stiffness, and E is the Modulus of Elasticity, and I is the area moment of inertia.

Some rearranging I get:

Me= M*sqrt((Im*w^2*E*I)/(M^2*L)),

Where the impact factor, G=sqrt((Im*w^2*E*I)/(M^2*L))

I have:
    Q=21 gpm,
    P=2500 psi,
    A=4.91 in^2,
    L=10.4 in,
    Im = 19.1 slug*ft*in,
    a=5 in,
    b=2 in,
    E=30 Mpsi
    I=(1/12)*a*b^3=3.3 in^4

Unfortunately, this leaves my impact factor, G=0.17. Of course the impact factor needs to be greater than or at least equal to unity. If anyone would kindly explain where I have gone wrong it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you kindly,

Jamie

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry but I cannot make any sense of this at all .

Please describe the construction and working of this device more completely and provide a drawing .

4. Aug 24, 2016 #3
    Thanks Nidum,

It's alright, I just managed to get it. I used U=PQt instead of the rotational kinetic energy and that worked much, much better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted