1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equivalent capacitance odd circuit

1. Nov 16, 2013 #1
    I'm having a time figuring out how to solve this one, hope someone can help me out

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "Calculate the equivalent capacitance between X and Y on the circuit in the figure. C1=C3=C4=C5=8uF, C2=20uF"

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can't figure out a reduced circuit straight away. I tried to see what will be current at the ends of each capacitor and each of them as different ones so I can't consider any of them to be in parallel.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2013 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Sometimes redrawing the circuit can help you to visualize a solution. Try moving terminal X to the top (centered over C2) and terminal Y to the bottom (centered below C2). Nodes 1 and 2 remain where they are.

4. Nov 16, 2013 #3
    I simplified the circuit for you here. Hope this helps!

Attached Files:

5. Nov 16, 2013 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Considering the symmetry of the network, what can you say about the ratio of potentials at nodes 1 and 2 if you "ground" Y (define V_Y = 0) and apply sinusoidal voltage V to X ?

Use that simplification to compute I = jwCV where I is the current from the source V and C is your equivalent capacitance.

6. Nov 16, 2013 #5

gneill

Do not do the Original Poster's homework for them. This is a Forum rule. Your first redrawing is okay, but you should let the OP draw conclusions regarding how the capacitors might be combined.

7. Nov 17, 2013 #6
    Thank you very much for your answers! I feel so stupid for not being able to redraw the circuit myself :P

8. Nov 17, 2013 #7
    OK, so this is a "Wheatstone Bridge". The more you know...
    Now since C1/C5=C4/C3 the voltage at points 1 and 2 (both sides of C2) is equivalent, thus there is not current flowing through C2 and I can just ignore it. Then I end up with C1 and C5 on one side (1/Ceq_a=1/C1+1/C5) and C4 and C3 on the other (1/Ceq_b=1/C4+1/C3) and the total Ceq=Ceq_a+Ceq_b.

9. Nov 17, 2013 #8

gneill

There ya go! :approve:

Actually you have a choice of methods. Since those two potentials are equal you can either remove the capacitor C2 or replace it with a short. No current will flow in either case :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted