Equivalent Resistance of Cube of Resistors: A to B

  • Thread starter Thread starter nil1996
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cube Resistors
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
5 replies · 3K views
nil1996
Messages
301
Reaction score
7

Homework Statement


Here is a cube of resistors with each resistance of value "R".Find the equivalent resistance between A and B.

attachment.php?attachmentid=66606&stc=1&d=1392346578.jpg


Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



My book says the equivalent circuit of the cube is :

attachment.php?attachmentid=66607&stc=1&d=1392346578.jpg


But i don't think it is correct.They have made parallel combinations which don't seem right.Is the book correct??
 
Attachments
  • DSC00458.jpg
    DSC00458.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 996
  • DSC00456.jpg
    DSC00456.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 905
Physics news on Phys.org
you need to make your figures smaller. They are HUGE.

I agree w/ you that it doesn't seem correct but I'm guessing they are using some trick of symmetry in the redrawing.
 
The plane through the points ABGH is a symmetry plane, so the potentials of the points D and E must be equal, so you can connect them with a wire. Same for the points C and F.
 
willem2 said:
The plane through the points ABGH is a symmetry plane, so the potentials of the points D and E must be equal, so you can connect them with a wire. Same for the points C and F.

O,thanks a lot :smile:
 
nil1996 said:

Homework Statement


Here is a cube of resistors with each resistance of value "R".Find the equivalent resistance between A and B.

View attachment 167327

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



My book says the equivalent circuit of the cube is :

View attachment 167328

But i don't think it is correct.They have made parallel combinations which don't seem right.Is the book correct??
I realize this is a decade old thread but I checked it and it is correct.
 
Last edited:
bob012345 said:
I realize this is a decade old thread but I checked it and it is correct.
I thought of your simulations when I saw this thread pop up! :smile: