Error calculations involving gradients

In summary, the speaker is trying to calculate the percentage error in determining the value of gravity using a pendulum's motion. They are using multiple values and are unsure of how to account for the error in their calculations. They mention an equation involving the difference in time and length, and ask for clarification on how to calculate the error in that equation.
acidburner
I'm trying to work out the percentage error in working out the value of gravity,g, from a pendulums motion.
i know that percentage error is (possible error/value used)*100 however I am using multiple values multiple times and its getting a little confusing.
In the investigation g=k(∆T²/∆L), my problem is that i have the error for working out T which is 0.001 seconds. The error in L is 0.001m. As I'm using a difference of two values for each of the ∆'s would i double each error and for the error of T² would i square 0.001 and then double it.
any explanations would be helpful
Thanks
∆T²=2.112 ∆L=0.51

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that

[tex]T=2\pi \sqrt{\frac{l}{g}}[/tex]

so that

[tex]T^2=4\pi^2 \frac{L}{g}[/tex]

and that means that

[tex]g=\frac{4\pi^2}{T^2}L[/tex]

To find the error you do this.

[tex]\frac{\delta g}{g}=2\frac{\delta T}{T} + \frac{\delta L}{L}[/tex]

[itex]\delta T[/itex] would be the error in T and similarly for [itex]\delta L[/itex] is the error in L.

I understand your confusion with calculating the percentage error in your investigation. Let me break it down for you.

Firstly, when calculating the percentage error, it is important to consider the possible error in each individual measurement. In your case, the possible error in T is 0.001 seconds and in L is 0.001 meters. It is important to note that these errors are independent of each other.

Now, when calculating the value of g using the equation g=k(∆T²/∆L), you are essentially taking the ratio of two measurements, ∆T² and ∆L. This means that the percentage error in g will be the sum of the percentage errors in ∆T² and ∆L.

To calculate the percentage error in ∆T², you will need to square the error in T, which is 0.001 seconds. This gives you an error of 0.000001 seconds. Then you will need to double this error, as you are using the difference of two values for ∆T². This gives you a final error of 0.000002 seconds for ∆T².

Similarly, for ∆L, you will need to double the error of 0.001 meters, giving you a final error of 0.002 meters for ∆L.

Now, to calculate the percentage error in g, you will need to use the formula you mentioned, which is (possible error/value used) * 100. So, for ∆T², the percentage error will be (0.000002/2.112) * 100 = 0.000095%. And for ∆L, the percentage error will be (0.002/0.51) * 100 = 0.392%.

Finally, to calculate the overall percentage error in g, you will need to add the percentage errors of ∆T² and ∆L. In this case, it will be 0.000095% + 0.392% = 0.392095%. This means that the value of g you have calculated may have an error of 0.392095%.

I hope this explanation helps you in understanding how to calculate the percentage error in your investigation. It is always important to consider the possible error in each measurement and to combine them appropriately when calculating the overall percentage error. If you have any further questions, please do not

What is the purpose of calculating error involving gradients?

Calculating error involving gradients is important in scientific research because it allows us to quantify the uncertainty or variability in our measurements. This helps us to determine the accuracy and reliability of our data and make informed decisions based on the results.

How is error calculated when dealing with gradients?

Error calculations involving gradients typically involve finding the standard error of the gradient, which is the standard deviation of the data divided by the square root of the number of data points. This provides an estimate of the uncertainty in the gradient and takes into account the variability in both the x and y values.

What factors can affect the accuracy of error calculations involving gradients?

The accuracy of error calculations involving gradients can be affected by several factors, including the precision of the measurements, the number of data points, and the distribution of the data. It is important to ensure that the data is collected and analyzed carefully to minimize errors and obtain accurate results.

How can error calculations involving gradients be used to improve experimental methods?

By calculating the error in our measurements involving gradients, we can identify areas of improvement in our experimental methods. For example, if the error is too large, we may need to increase the precision of our measurements or collect more data points to reduce the uncertainty. This can lead to more accurate and reliable results.

Can error calculations involving gradients be applied to any type of data?

Yes, error calculations involving gradients can be applied to any type of data as long as there is a relationship between the variables being measured. This includes data from experiments, surveys, and observational studies. However, the method of calculating the error may vary depending on the type of data and the nature of the relationship between the variables.