Error in my units, and I don't understand why

In summary, the homework statement said that if you integrate acceleration as a function of r, you should get velocity as a function of r. However, when you plug in the units of m^2 / s^2 for G, you get m^2 / s^2 instead of m^3 kg^-1 s^2 for orbital velocity. Additionally, the equation for v is separable if you know dr and dt.
warfreak131

Homework Statement

Let's consider the a piece of a meteor falling to earth. The gravitational acceleration is experiences if GM/r^2. If I integrate acceleration as a function of r, i should get velocity as a function of r, right?

[tex]\int \frac{GM}{r^2}dr=GM\int \frac{1}{r^2}dr=\frac{-GM}{r}+const.[/tex]

The problem is that G has the units of m^3 kg^-1 s^2. If you plug this in, you get the units of m^2 / s^2.

I know that orbital velocity of a body is the square root of GM/R, I just don't know how they got the square root, and why I didn't

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
That is gravitational potential.

Velocity is the integral of acceleration w.r.t. time, not position.

but if you know acceleration as a function of r, why CANT you calculate velocity as a function of r?

warfreak131 said:
but if you know acceleration as a function of r, why CANT you calculate velocity as a function of r?

You can. Calculate the WORK done on the body by the gravitational field. In other words, integrate F.d and use that as the change in KE --> m*v2/2 .

gneill said:
You can. Calculate the WORK done on the body by the gravitational field. In other words, integrate F.d and use that as the change in KE --> m*v2/2 .

Lets say I am 10,000 meters away from the Earth and I find F(r). Then work would be equal [tex]\int_0^{10000} F(r) dr[/tex]?

And then that equals 1/2 mv^2. So if I assume that I start at rest, and since you mentioned that it is the change in KE, my final KE minus initial KE would just be my final KE?

You should be clear on what you mean by "10,000 meters away from the earth". The force formula in its simple algebraic form expects to see radial distance (distance from the Earth's center).

But essentially this is correct. Integrate the force*dr over the change in radial distance and you get the work done. Work done tells you how the KE changes.

gneill said:
You should be clear on what you mean by "10,000 meters away from the earth". The force formula in its simple algebraic form expects to see radial distance (distance from the Earth's center).

But essentially this is correct. Integrate the force*dr over the change in radial distance and you get the work done. Work done tells you how the KE changes.

Nice, now onto my second question. Let's say I am at one edge of the observable universe (and for sake of ease, we will say that the edge is static), and a proton is at the other edge, so we're about 100 billion light years apart. Also assume that we are the only things in the universe, and that I am stationary, relative to the edge of the observable universe. I want to know how long it will take that proton to reach me from my gravity alone. I weigh 77 kilograms.

I know the equation d=vit+1/2at^2 can be solved for time, but that only works for a constant acceleration. How would this equation change for variable acceleration? And since initial velocity is 0, and the distance traveled is 100 BLY (of course adjusted to meters), we can simplify.

The force on the proton is, as you said before,
[tex]-\frac{GmM}{r^2}[/tex]
The accelation, force over mass, is given by
[tex]-\frac{GM}{r^2}[/tex]

so the velocity is given by
[tex]\frac{dv}{dt}= -\frac{GM}{r^2}[/tex]

It is also true that [itex]v= dr/dt[/itex] so that, by the chain rule
[tex]a= \frac{dv}{dt}= \frac{dv}{dr}\frac{dr}{dt}= v\frac{dv}{dr}= -\frac{GM}{r^2}[/tex]

That is a separable equation:
[tex]dv= -\frac{GM}{r^2}dr[/tex]
and integrating both sides,
[tex]v= \frac{dr}{dt}= \frac{GM}{r}+ v_0[/tex]
and, assuming the initial speed is 0, [itex]v_0= 0[/itex].

Again, that is separable.
[tex]\frac{r}{GM}dr= dt[/tex]

If it's time your after, you'll need to write the differential equation for the motion and solve it. Keep in mind that you'll be accelerating towards the proton as it accelerates towards you. You'll have something like:

[tex] \frac{d^2 r}{dt^2} = -\frac{G(M + m)}{r^2} [/tex]

Take a look at the thread here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=246833

1. What are units in science and why are they important?

Units in science refer to the standard measurement used to quantify a physical quantity. They are important because they provide a common language for scientists to communicate their findings and ensure accuracy and consistency in data analysis.

2. How does using incorrect units affect my data and results?

Using incorrect units can greatly impact your data and results. It can lead to errors in calculations, misinterpretation of data, and ultimately incorrect conclusions. Additionally, using different units can make it difficult for other scientists to replicate your experiments and validate your findings.

3. What are some common mistakes that lead to errors in units?

Common mistakes that lead to errors in units include using the wrong conversion factors, forgetting to convert units when performing calculations, and using outdated or incorrect units for a specific measurement. It is important to double check and verify units when collecting and analyzing data.

4. How can I prevent errors in units?

To prevent errors in units, it is important to always use the correct units for each specific measurement and to double check conversions and calculations. It is also helpful to use conversion charts or online calculators to ensure accuracy. It is also important to stay updated on any changes or updates to standard units of measurement.

5. What should I do if I discover an error in my units?

If you discover an error in your units, it is important to correct it as soon as possible. This may involve re-analyzing your data, recalculating results, and making corrections to any reports or presentations. It is also important to note the error and how it was corrected in order to maintain transparency and accuracy in your research.