Estimate using the derivative: Am I making a sign error somewhere?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the derivative of a transformation and estimating the cartesian coordinates for specific values. The attempt at a solution involves finding partials with respect to r and theta, calculating differentials, and using the values to approximate the coordinates. There is confusion about the sign of the change in y and a class discussion leads to the conclusion that it is due to the approximation method.
ElijahRockers
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the derivative of the transformation x=rcos(theta), y=rsin(theta).

Then estimate the cartesian coordinates for r=2.2 and theta=pi(1/6-1/60)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the partials with respect to r and theta for both x and y.

I also wrote down the differentials (i think):

[itex]dx=cos\theta dr-rsin\theta d\theta[/itex]

[itex]dy=sin\theta dr+rcos\theta d\theta[/itex]

So I calculated x(r,theta) at (2,pi/6) then added the value of dx (r,theta,dr,dtheta) at (2,pi/6,.2,-pi/60) and got approx 1.95762. I calculated the x=2.2cos(pi(1/6-1/60)) and got a value very close to that, so I'm assuming I did that part right.

Where I am getting stuck is for the y coordinate.

I used the same exact procedure, but when I add dy to y(2,pi/6) the value increases to 1.00931, instead of decreasing to approx .99878.

My gut tells me I made a sign error somewhere or something, but I can't seem to find it. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
ElijahRockers said:

Homework Statement

Find the derivative of the transformation x=rcos(theta), y=rsin(theta).

Then estimate the cartesian coordinates for r=2.2 and theta=pi(1/6-1/60)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the partials with respect to r and theta for both x and y.

I also wrote down the differentials (i think):

[itex]dx=cos\theta dr-rsin\theta d\theta[/itex]

[itex]dy=sin\theta dr+rcos\theta d\theta[/itex]

So I calculated x(r,theta) at (2,pi/6) then added the value of dx (r,theta,dr,dtheta) at (2,pi/6,.2,-pi/60) and got approx 1.95762. I calculated the x=2.2cos(pi(1/6-1/60)) and got a value very close to that, so I'm assuming I did that part right.

Where I am getting stuck is for the y coordinate.

I used the same exact procedure, but when I add dy to y(2,pi/6) the value increases to 1.00931, instead of decreasing to approx .99878.

My gut tells me I made a sign error somewhere or something, but I can't seem to find it. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
No sign error.

Near (r, θ) = (2, π/6):
increasing r increases x as does decreasing θ.

Increasing r also increases y. However, decreasing θ will decrease y.​

If you look at the per cent change "predicted" by the differential compared to the actual percent change in the x coordinate and make the same comparison for the y coordinate, I think you will find similar results. It's just that per cent change in y is near zero.

y(2,pi/6) = 1 and y(2.2,(pi/6-pi/60)) = .998779

when i calculate 2.2sin(pi/6-pi/60) - 2sin(pi/6) i get -.0012209006. this is Delta y.

so dy is [itex]dy=sin\theta dr+rcos\theta d\theta[/itex]
which is .0093100318 = dy.

why is dy +ve and Delta y -ve?

I thought I understood the process, but shouldn't they both be the same sign, at least? Even if they are different in magniutde? My estimation is saying the change is in the wrong direction, that doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: PS differentials are probably my weakest area of all. they give me more trouble than trigonometric substituion.

Last edited:
Don't try to take r changing from 2 to 2.2, that's too big of a jump for the derivatives to give a good look at how x and y change. Just let theta change from pi/6 to pi/6-pi/60 and let r=2.2 always

Alright... well I get a hunch that he wants us to vary 'r' too. i will have time to ask him tomorrow. Seems like a poorly designed question if you ask me.

I asked him in class, you were right. When I brought the issue up in class, he worked through it. Coming to the same conclusion I did, he accosted me with a sly grin and said "Well, that's why it's just an approximation."

Thanks for your help, a question like this shouldn't have given me this much trouble, but I had to make sure, because differentials have been a weak spot of mine for awhile.

1. What is an estimate using the derivative?

An estimate using the derivative is a method used in calculus to approximate the value of a function at a specific point by using the slope of the function at nearby points.

2. How do I use the derivative to estimate a function?

To use the derivative to estimate a function, you need to find the derivative of the function and then plug in the value of the point you want to estimate at. This will give you the slope of the function at that point, which can be used to estimate the function's value.

3. What is a sign error in estimation using the derivative?

A sign error in estimation using the derivative occurs when the sign (positive or negative) of the derivative is incorrectly applied to the estimated value. This can result in a significantly different estimate than the actual value of the function.

4. How can I avoid making a sign error when using the derivative to estimate?

To avoid making a sign error, make sure to carefully calculate the derivative and correctly apply the sign to the estimated value. It can also be helpful to check your work and use multiple methods of estimation to validate your answer.

5. What are some common mistakes when estimating using the derivative?

Some common mistakes when estimating using the derivative include calculating the derivative incorrectly, applying the sign of the derivative incorrectly, and using the wrong values for estimation. It's important to double check your work and be aware of these potential errors to ensure an accurate estimate.