1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Estimating Error for an Infinite Series (Mclaurin)

1. Mar 6, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Problem # 30 in Ch1 Section 16 in Mary L. Boas' Math Methods in the Physical Sciences

It is clear that you (or your computer) can’t find the sum of an infinite series
    just by adding up the terms one by one. For example, to get [tex]\zeta (1.1)=\sum _{ n=1 }^{ \infty }{ \frac { 1 }{ { n }^{ 1.1 } } } [/tex] (see Problem 15.22) with error < 0.005 takes about [tex]10^{33}[/tex] terms.
    To see a simple alternative (for a series of positive decreasing terms) look at
    Figures 6.1 and 6.2. Show that when you have summed N terms, the sum RN
    of the rest of the series is between [tex]{ I }_{ N }=\int _{ N }^{ \infty }{ { a }_{ n } } dn\quad and\quad { I }_{ N+1 }=\int _{ N+1 }^{ \infty }{ { a }_{ n } } dn[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

They are above.

3. The attempt at a solution

I am not sure how I am supposed to integrate an [tex] a_{n} [/tex] since it contains n!.

Thanks,
    Chris Maness

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You haven't told us what an is.

4. Mar 7, 2014 #3
    [tex]a_n[/tex] is the coefficient for the Mclaurin series. [tex]a_n=f(x)^n/n![/tex]

Chris

5. Mar 7, 2014 #4

pasmith

Homework Helper

The more serious problem would be attempting to integrate [itex]f^{(n)}(0)[/itex] with respect to [itex]n[/itex].

The wording "To see a simple alternative (for a series of positive decreasing terms)" suggests that [itex]a_n[/itex] is an arbitrary sequence of positive decreasing terms which decreases fast enough for [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] to converge, and not the Mclaurin series of an arbitrary function (which may contain negative terms).

In any event, you are not asked to do the actual integration, but to explain why, if [itex]a_n[/itex] is a decreasing positive sequence and [itex]f : \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] is a decreasing continuous positive function such that [itex]f(n) = a_n[/itex] for all [itex]n[/itex], it is the case that
    [tex]
    \int_N^{\infty} f(x)\,dx \leq \sum_{N+1}^\infty a_n \leq \int_{N+1}^\infty f(x)\,dx.
    [/tex]
    I suggest you look at the figures you are invited to look at, and see if that suggests a reason.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted