Estimating Resistivity of Amorphous Metal - Condensed Matter

In summary, we are asked to estimate the resistivity of an amorphous metal with a mean free path of the order of an atomic spacing. Using the equations VF = h(bar) KF / m and ρ = m / n e2 τ, we can rearrange VF = l / τ to get τ = l / VF. To estimate l, we can use the size of atoms of a common metal and for VF, we can use the equation VF = h(bar) KF / m with KF3 = 3π2n, where n = NAρ/atomic weight. It is important to note that the rough size of atoms (order of magnitude) should be known for this calculation.
12x4

Homework Statement

Estimate the resistivity of an amorphous metal whose mean free path is of the order of an atomic spacing. Compare your answer to crystalline copper.

Homework Equations

VF = h(bar) KF / m
VF = l / τ
ρ = m / n e2 τ

The Attempt at a Solution

I think my real issue with this question is I'm not sure what are reasonable numbers to estimate with.

We need to find τ to plug into ρ = m / n e2 τ

Using VF = l / τ we can rearrange to get τ = l / VFfor l:

We are told the mean free path, l, is of the order of an atomic spacing but I am not sure what is a reasonable estimation of this is?

for VF:

VF = h(bar) KF / m

KF3 = 3π2n where n = NAρ/atomic weight

Again I am not sure what to use as my values for ρ and atomic weight. It seems as though I am missing something about amorphous metals. I understand that they have disordered structures but how can i make an estimation for KF with that little information.

Thanks in advance to anyone that replies and apologies if this is a bit of a basic question.

Physics news on Phys.org
12x4 said:
We are told the mean free path, l, is of the order of an atomic spacing but I am not sure what is a reasonable estimation of this is?
A factor of 2 does not matter here, so you can look up the size of atoms of your favorite metal and use this. Same for density and atomic weight.

In general, the rough size of atoms (order of magnitude) is something you should know.

mfb said:
A factor of 2 does not matter here, so you can look up the size of atoms of your favorite metal and use this. Same for density and atomic weight.

In general, the rough size of atoms (order of magnitude) is something you should know.

Thank you for your reply. I think I am still getting a bit confused as, as I understand it amorphous metals are glasses and therefore, depending on their density, can have a much larger atomic spacing?

Regardless i'll complete the question with a spacing of a few angstroms. Thank you

12x4 said:
as I understand it amorphous metals are glasses and therefore, depending on their density, can have a much larger atomic spacing?
As I said, a factor of 2 does not matter here. A few angstrom is fine.

1. What is amorphous metal?

Amorphous metal, also known as metallic glass, is a type of metal that has a disordered atomic structure instead of a regular crystalline structure. This results in unique properties, such as high strength, low density, and high corrosion resistance.

2. How is resistivity of amorphous metal estimated?

The resistivity of amorphous metal is typically estimated through a process called four-point probe measurement. This involves passing a constant current through the material using four probes and measuring the voltage drop. The resistivity can then be calculated using Ohm's law.

3. What factors affect the resistivity of amorphous metal?

The resistivity of amorphous metal can be affected by various factors, including temperature, composition, and processing techniques. Higher temperatures can increase the resistivity, while changes in composition or processing can alter the atomic structure and therefore the resistivity.

4. Why is estimating resistivity important for amorphous metal?

Estimating resistivity is important for understanding the electrical properties of amorphous metal, which can be useful in various applications. It can also provide insights into the atomic structure and potential applications of amorphous metal in electronics and other fields.

5. Can the resistivity of amorphous metal be modified?

Yes, the resistivity of amorphous metal can be modified through various methods, such as annealing, which involves heating the material to a specific temperature and then cooling it. This can result in changes in the atomic structure and therefore the resistivity. Additionally, changes in composition or processing techniques can also affect the resistivity of amorphous metal.