1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating The Fermi Energy - Condensed Matter Physics

Tags:
  1. Feb 3, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the Fermi energy, EF at 0K for potassium (atomic weight = 39, density = 860 kgm3).

2. Relevant equations
    KF3 = 3π2n
    Fermi Momentum ρ = h(bar)KF

3. The attempt at a solution:
    For the first part:

Using: E = ρ2/ 2m
    Can substitute Fermi momentum into that to get:

EF = h(bar)2 KF2 / 2m

KF2 = √(3π2n) = π√(3n)

Putting all the together I got:

EF = h(bar)2 π √(3n) / 2m

which is the same as: EF = h2 √(3n) / 4m

I'm not too sure what to do after this point as i'm not sure how the atomic weight or density can give me a value for n and m. I do have written in my notes that n = N/v but again I wasn't sure how this would help me. I feel like I must be going down the wrong path to come out with an equation that needs completely different things to what the question is providing me with. But honestly I have just started this condensed matter course and haven't really got my feet yet.

Thanks in advance to anyone that replies.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You haven't solved for KF2 correctly. What do you get if you first solve for KF?
    n is the number of atoms per unit volume, whereas mass density ρ is the mass per unit volume. Try to think of a way to relate n to ρ using the atomic mass, matom.

4. Feb 5, 2015 #3
    Ooops yes not sure what i was thinking there. Thank you for your help i think i've cracked it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted