Estimating the force of a baseball swing

In summary, an average person would apply 600-800N to a ball with a baseball bat. This would result in a change in momentum of 6kg m/s.
danago
Gold Member
Hey. I did some calculations, and estimated that an average person hitting a ball with a baseball bat would apply approximately 600-800N to the ball. Does this sound approximately right, or am i way off?

Physics news on Phys.org
what was the given information? and that seems like a fair bit...

Thats the thing...we were given no information at all. We are supposed to calculate the force of the average persons baseball swing, but nobody can seem to be able to do it.

What we did was use a 1kg mass, resting on a surface, and hit it with a baseball bat. We then timed the time it took to reach the 1m mark, and then found an average velocity. Now, my partner did the trials while i wasnt there, and he said that he calculated the velocty to be around 6m/s. I though this sounded a bit high, but we used it for our calculations.

From that average velocity, i calculated the change in momentum, which would be 6kg m/s, since its a 1kg mass. Then divided by an estimated contact time of 0.01s, which gave us the force.

Im thinking that my mistake was underestimating the contact time. I really wouldn't have a clue. I know its less than 1 second, but that's about all i know about the contact time :s

But other than that, does the rest of it sound ok? If i changed my working, and used a contact time of 0.1s, or even 0.05, id get a force of 60-120N. Does that sound better?

Im not sure if I am even close to producing valid results, but its an attempt i guess.

I would have thought that it was a fair estimate. However, I think that is a fair estimate for a moving ball. I'd say that the average pitcher (I'm not American and I don't play baseball so I could be wrong) would pitch at maybe 90 - 100 km/h. I think that when the ball is hit you are going to have the ball going in the opposite direction at a higher speed than the initial pitch I'd say. Maybe about 120 or more km/h. Momentum has to be conserved so you solve as follows:

mv1 + Fdt = mv2

This is also assuming that the ball is thrown perfectly flat.
You can solve for the force in the x-direction. This is obviously assuming that the ball is hit absolutely horizontally. If you have a vertical component (you hit the ball so that it makes an angle with the horizontal) you can estimate the force by considering the x and y components of velocity and force.

The total force will be given by:

Ftotal = sqrt (Fx^2 +Fy^2)

This is what I think, but I could be wrong. There are probably other people here who know more and can be more informative.

Remember to draw a diagram as well and convert all units to SI units.

Your numbers are a little low, danago!

http://www.kettering.edu/~drussell/bats-new/impulse.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the force of a baseball swing?

The force of a baseball swing refers to the amount of energy exerted by a player on a baseball bat in order to hit the ball. It is measured in units of Newtons (N) and can vary depending on factors such as the speed and weight of the bat, the technique of the player, and the velocity of the ball.

How is the force of a baseball swing calculated?

The force of a baseball swing can be calculated using the formula F=ma, where F represents force, m represents mass, and a represents acceleration. In this case, the mass refers to the weight of the bat and the acceleration refers to the speed at which the bat is swung.

What factors influence the force of a baseball swing?

The force of a baseball swing can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the weight and speed of the bat, the strength and technique of the player, and the velocity of the ball. Other factors such as air resistance and the type of bat can also play a role in determining the force of a swing.

Why is it important to estimate the force of a baseball swing?

Estimating the force of a baseball swing can provide valuable information for players, coaches, and scouts. It can help players improve their technique and power, coaches can use it to assess their players' performance, and scouts can use it to evaluate potential players for their team.

Are there any limitations to estimating the force of a baseball swing?

While estimating the force of a baseball swing can provide useful information, there are some limitations to consider. Factors such as the type of bat, the condition of the ball, and the environmental conditions can affect the accuracy of the estimation. Additionally, the force of a swing may vary depending on the individual player's technique and strength.