Estimating the sum of an alternating series by the 40th partial sum

In summary, the conversation discusses approximating the sum of the alternating series using the 40th partial sum and estimating the error in this approximation. The conversation also mentions using the absolute value of the 41st term in the series to bound the error and using a computer or calculator to calculate the sum of the series. The infinite sum is related to the Riemann zeta function, but there is no shortcut formula to get the partial sums. It is suggested to use a computer or spreadsheet approach for calculating the partial sums.
donald1403

Homework Statement

Approximate the sum of the alternating series [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n^4}[/tex] by the 40th partial sum and estimate the error in this approximation.

I know how to calculute the sum of the alternating series by 4th or 5th partial sum. I don't think this problem wants me to calculate till 40th partial sum.

How can I calculate like 40th partial sum or 100th partial sum?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can bound the error of the 40th partial sum by looking at the absolute value of the 41st term in the series. It's an alternating series.

the absolute value of the 41st term would be 3.54 x 10^(-7) . but it would only mean that the sum of the series will be within 3.54 x 10^(-7). but how can i calculate the sum of the series. this is not for exam or assignment. this is just an example in the textbook. the answer is

S = S40 = 0.9470326439 but they just wrote down the answer but didn't really explain how they get that number? what formula should i use to calculate the sum of the series?

Good point. The infinite sum is related to the Riemann zeta function. It's (7/8)*zeta(4). http://mathworld.wolfram.com/RiemannZetaFunction.html That's all tons of fun and stuff, but I don't know any shortcut formula to get the partial sums. I think they maybe did use a computer to compute the partial sum. You can write a short program (preferably) or use a spreadsheet approach if you're desperate.

thanks again, Dick. I just need to make sure they use computer or calculator to calculate the sum. I sure can calculate by hand for few terms but jz wondering if there is any way to calculate. I guess I just have to depend on calculator. anyway, thanks again!

1. What is an alternating series?

An alternating series is a mathematical series in which the terms alternate between positive and negative values. For example, 1 - 2 + 3 - 4 + 5 - 6 + ... is an alternating series.

2. How do you estimate the sum of an alternating series?

The sum of an alternating series can be estimated by calculating the sum of a certain number of terms, known as the partial sum. As more terms are added, the partial sum will approach the actual sum of the series.

3. Why is the 40th partial sum used for estimating the sum of an alternating series?

The 40th partial sum is often used because it is a relatively large number that can provide a good estimate for the sum of the series. This is especially true for alternating series with a finite number of terms.

4. How do you know if the 40th partial sum is a good estimate for the sum of the series?

The 40th partial sum is a good estimate if it is close to the actual sum of the series. This can be determined by calculating the difference between the 40th partial sum and the actual sum, and if the difference is small, then the estimate is considered accurate.

5. Are there any other methods for estimating the sum of an alternating series?

Yes, there are other methods such as using a calculator or computer program to calculate the sum of the series, or using a mathematical formula specifically designed for certain types of alternating series. However, using the 40th partial sum is a common and simple method for estimation.