1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Estimation of the volume of a solid.

1. Mar 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Estimate the volume of the solid whose base is bounded by the graphs of y = x + 3 and
    y = x2 − 3, and bounded by the surface z=x2+y from above, using the indicated rectangular cross sections taken perpendicular to the x-axis (figure is not the actual graph of the functions given above. It is solely a demonstration to help with the problem).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've been trying to figure out a way to solve it for hours.
    The only thing that i've done was figure out the area of the base, but i don't know if I am on the right track or not, seeing as the professor has not gone over this.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Did the problem really say "estimate"? It's a pretty straight forward Calculus problem to find the exact volume.
    The base graphs y= x+ 3 and y= x^2- 3 (note that "x^2" is clearer than "x2") intersect where y= x+ 3= x^2-3 or x^2- x- 6= (x- 3)(x+ 2) or x= -2, y= 1 and x= 3, y= 6. Rectangular cross-sections perpendicular to the x-axis" means that the area is "height times base" where the base is the difference in y values, x+3-(x^2- 3)= -x^2+ x+ 6 and the height is [tex]z= x^2+ y[/tex]. The volume of a thin "slab" would be that area multiplied by thickness, dx. Integrate that from x= -2 to 3.

4. Mar 23, 2013 #3
    So then would the actual area end up being:
    -x^4+x^3+6x^2-x^2y+xy+6y
    Or am i wrong?

If it is right,would the volume be (125/12)*(2y+3)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted