Euler-Lagrange equation even if the action isn't stationary?

In summary, it seems that a function that allows symmetry of second derivatives can always be solved for using the Euler-Lagrange equation, even when the action is not stationary.
Happiness
It seems like I could get the Euler-Lagrange equation for any function that allows symmetry of second derivatives even when the action is not stationary.

Suppose ##L=L(q_1, q_2, ... , q_n, \dot{q_1}, \dot{q_2}, ... , \dot{q_n}, t)##, where all the ##q_i##'s and ##\dot{q_i}##'s are functions of ##t##. ##(\dot{x}## represents ##\frac{dx}{dt}##.##)##

##\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot{q}}=\Sigma_i\Big(\frac{dq_i}{dt}\frac{\partial}{\partial q_i}\frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot{q}}+\frac{d\dot{q_i}}{dt}\frac{\partial}{\partial\dot{q_i}}\frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot{q}}\Big)+\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot{q}}##

##=\Sigma_i\Big(\frac{dq_i}{dt}\frac{\partial}{\partial\dot{q}}\frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i}+\frac{d\dot{q_i}}{dt}\frac{\partial}{\partial\dot{q}}\frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot{q_i}}\Big)+\frac{\partial}{\partial\dot{q}}\frac{\partial L}{\partial t}##

##=\frac{\partial}{\partial\dot{q}}\frac{dL}{dt}##

##=\frac{\partial\dot{L}}{\partial\dot{q}}##

##=\frac{\partial L}{\partial q}##

Therefore, ##\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot{q}}-\frac{\partial L}{\partial q}=0##.

What's wrong?

EDIT: I think I found the mistake. ##\frac{\partial\dot{L}}{\partial\dot{q}}=\frac{\partial L}{\partial q}## when ##L=L(q, t)## but not so when ##L=L(q, \dot{q}, t)##.

Last edited:
No, your derivation was correct. The reason is that indeed concerning the partial derivatives used here you consider the ##q##, the ##\dot{q}##, and ##t## as independent variables, and the Euler-Lagrange equation are valid thus also if ##L## is explicitly time dependent.

vanhees71 said:
No, your derivation was correct. The reason is that indeed concerning the partial derivatives used here you consider the ##q##, the ##\dot{q}##, and ##t## as independent variables, and the Euler-Lagrange equation are valid thus also if ##L## is explicitly time dependent.

Consider ##L=q\dot{q}##.

##\frac{\partial L}{\partial q}=\dot{q}##

whereas ##\dot{L}=q\ddot{q}+\dot{q}^2##

##\frac{\partial \dot{L}}{\partial \dot{q}}=2\dot{q}\neq\frac{\partial L}{\partial q}##

Well, maybe I didn't follow your derivation carfully enough, but nevertheless the Euler-Lagrange equations are also correct for explicitly time-dependent Lagrangians. The reason is simply that in the Hamilton principle ##\delta t=0## by definition, i.e., you define the equations of motion as the stationary points of the action functional
$$A[q]=\int \mathrm{d} t L(q,\dot{q},t) \; \Rightarrow \; \delta A[q]=\int \mathrm{d} t \left (\delta q \frac{\partial L}{\partial q} + \delta \dot{q} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}} \right ).$$
Now since ##\delta t=0## by definition you have
$$\delta \dot{q}=\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \delta q$$
and thus via integration by parts
$$\delta A[q]=\int \mathrm{d} t \delta q \left (\frac{\partial L}{\partial q} - \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}} \right ).$$
This must vanish for all ##\delta q## in order to make ##\delta A## stationary, which leads to the Euler-Lagrange equations
$$\frac{\partial L}{\partial q} - \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}}=0.$$
I didn't need the total time derivative of ##L## at all.

Sorry for the confusion.

1. What is the importance of the Euler-Lagrange equation even if the action isn't stationary?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a fundamental tool in the field of calculus of variations, which is used to find the optimal path or function that minimizes a certain functional. Even if the action is not stationary, the Euler-Lagrange equation can still be used to analyze the behavior of the system and determine important properties such as stability and equilibrium points.

2. Can the Euler-Lagrange equation be applied to non-classical systems?

Yes, the Euler-Lagrange equation can be applied to a wide range of systems, including non-classical systems such as quantum mechanics, relativistic mechanics, and fluid dynamics. However, the form of the equation may differ for each type of system.

3. How does the Euler-Lagrange equation relate to the principle of least action?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a mathematical expression of the principle of least action, which states that the true path or function of a system is the one that minimizes the action functional. In other words, the Euler-Lagrange equation provides a way to find the optimal path or function that satisfies this principle.

4. Can the Euler-Lagrange equation be solved analytically for all systems?

No, the Euler-Lagrange equation cannot be solved analytically for all systems. In fact, it is often used in conjunction with numerical methods to solve for the optimal path or function. However, for some simple systems, the equation can be solved analytically, leading to closed-form solutions.

5. How is the Euler-Lagrange equation derived?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is derived from the calculus of variations, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the optimal path or function that minimizes a certain functional. It involves taking the functional derivative of the action functional and setting it equal to zero, which leads to the Euler-Lagrange equation.