Momentum and Action: Understanding Lagrangian Mechanics

In summary: So, at ##t_2##, the endpoints of the two paths differ by ##\delta q(t_2)##.In summary, the conversation is discussing the least-action principle in the Lagrangian form and how the value of the action for the actual path varies when making a small change in the final position of the path. The integral term in the equation representing this change is zero because both paths represent the natural dynamical development of the system from the initial conditions and therefore obey the equations of motion at all times. The difference in initial velocities between the two paths is not directly connected to the integral term being zero, but the term accounts for the difference in endpoints between the two paths.
happyparticle
TL;DR Summary
Action after a variation of ##q_2##
Hi,
In my book I have and expression that I don't really understand.
Using the definition of action ##\delta S = \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}} \delta q |_{t_1}^{t_2} + \int_{t_1}^{t_2} (\frac{\partial L}{\partial q} - \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}}) \delta q dt##
Where L is the lagrangian and q the position.

For a variation of ##q_2##

##\delta S = \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}} \delta q |_{t_2}##

I don't see why the integral on the right hand side is 0.
If I understand correctly, at ##t_1## I have 2 points, ##q_1## and ##q_2## and then at ##t_2##, ##q_2## moves but not ##q_1##
However, why we only have ##t_2## as lower limit for the first term on the right hand side and why the second term vanish?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess you talk about the least-action principle in the Lagrangian form. Then by assumption you vary within the space of all trajectories with fixed boundaries at the initial and final time, i.e., ##\delta q(t_1)=0## and ##\delta q(t_2)=0##. That means that the boundary term in ##\delta S## vanishes. Then the action principle tells you that for the physical trajectory of the particle, i.e., for the solutions of the equations of motion, the integral must be vanish for otherwise arbitrary ##\delta q##. Then the fundamental lemma of variational calculus says that for this the expression in the bracket under the integral must vanish, i.e., that the equations of motion are given by the Euler-Lagrange equations of the least-action variational principle,
$$\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}}=\frac{\partial L}{\partial q}.$$
I don't know, what your secret book is discussing considering only one boundary term.

Is ##\delta q(t_1)=0## the distance between ##q_1## and ##q_2##?

Basically, in my situation, ##q_1## is fixed and there's a variation of ##q_2##. At the end I have ##\frac{\partial S}{\partial q} = p##

The value of the action ##S## for the actual path depends on the initial and final space-time points of the path. I think your book is probably discussing how the value of ##S## for the actual path varies when you make a small change in the final position ##q_2## of the path (but no change in the final time ##t_2##). See the first part of this article.

This is exactly what I have.

The author says:

"Both paths P,P′ are fully determined by their initial and final positions and times, so P,P′′ must correspond to slightly different initial velocities. The important point is that since both paths describe the natural dynamical development of the system from the initial conditions, the system obeys the equations of motion at all times along both paths, and therefore the integral term in the above equation is identically zero. "

However, I can see exactly why the term in the integral must be 0. I don't understand the link between the difference of velocity between both path and the integral term.

happyparticle said:
However, I can see exactly why the term in the integral must be 0.
Good

happyparticle said:
I don't understand the link between the difference of velocity between both path and the integral term.
The author points out that paths P and P' have different initial velocities. But, I don't think this fact is directly connected to why the integral term is zero. As I see it, the integral term is zero since P' represents a variation of P and P is an extremum path. So, the Euler-Lagrange equation is satisfied along P.

However, paths P' and P do not have the same end point ##q_2## at time ##t_2##. The endpoints differ by a small amount ##\delta q(t_2)##. This is accounted for by the term ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot q} \delta q|_{t_2} \equiv \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot q}|_{t_2} \delta q(t_2)##.

In your first post you said
happyparticle said:
If I understand correctly, at ##t_1## I have 2 points, ##q_1## and ##q_2## and then at ##t_2##, ##q_2## moves but not ##q_1##

At ##t_1##, paths P and P' have the same initial point ##q_1##. At ##t_2##, path P has ##q= q_2## and path P' has ##q = q_2 + \delta q(t_2)##.

1. What is momentum in Lagrangian mechanics?

Momentum in Lagrangian mechanics is a measure of an object's motion and is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity. It is a conserved quantity, meaning that it remains constant unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How is momentum related to action in Lagrangian mechanics?

In Lagrangian mechanics, the principle of least action states that the path an object takes between two points is the one that minimizes the action, which is the integral of the Lagrangian over time. Momentum is related to action through the Lagrangian, as it is one of the variables that the Lagrangian depends on.

3. What is the significance of Lagrangian mechanics?

Lagrangian mechanics is a powerful mathematical framework for understanding the motion of objects and systems. It allows for a more general and elegant approach to classical mechanics, as it is not limited to specific coordinate systems or forces. It also provides a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles of motion.

4. How is Lagrangian mechanics different from Newtonian mechanics?

Newtonian mechanics is based on the concept of forces and the laws of motion, while Lagrangian mechanics is based on the principle of least action. In Newtonian mechanics, the equations of motion are derived from the forces acting on an object, while in Lagrangian mechanics, the equations of motion are derived from the Lagrangian function, which takes into account the kinetic and potential energy of the system.

5. What are some real-world applications of Lagrangian mechanics?

Lagrangian mechanics has many applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and even economics. Some examples include analyzing the motion of celestial bodies, designing mechanical systems, and understanding the dynamics of financial markets. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as spacecraft trajectories and control systems for robots.