1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Euler Lagrange Equation trough variation

1. Nov 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"Vary the following actions and write down the Euler-Lagrange equations of motion."

2. Relevant equations

[itex]S =\int dt q[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Someone said there is a weird trick required to solve this but he couldn't remember. If you just vary normally you get [itex]\delta S=\int dt \delta q=0[/itex]
    and thats not helpful. Any suggestion on how to avoid this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2011 #2
    I believe you need to make your function [itex] q = q(t) + \delta q(t) [/itex] and then observe that since this new function needs to have the same ending points it implies that
    [tex]
    \delta q(t_1) = \delta q(t_2) = 0
    [/tex]
    And follow that with what [itex] \delta S [/itex] becomes :)

4. Nov 4, 2011 #3
    thanks but isn't this just the general way of variation?

[itex] \delta S = \int dt (f(q+\delta q) - f(q))= \int dt \frac{\partial f}{\partial q} \delta q = \int dt \delta q[/itex]

and there still the same problem remains that I can't find any function that makes [itex] \delta S = 0[/itex] for every [itex]\delta q[/itex] because here I would get [itex]1=0[/itex].
    Or did i miss your point?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook