Evaluate Definite Integral with Complex Analysis

In summary: You didn't show your work, so I can't tell you what you did wrong.In summary, the conversation involves finding the residue for a complex integral using identities to change from cos and sin to variables of z. The quadratic equation is used to factor the denominator and find the poles, and the residue is calculated for each pole. The integral is equal to 0 when the interval of integration is changed to [-π,π] and the integrand is an odd function. Multiple attempts were made to calculate the residue for one of the poles, with success using L'Hopital's rule.
KleZMeR

Homework Statement

[itex] I_1 = \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{sin\theta}{3+2cos\theta} d\theta [/itex]

Homework Equations

Using identities to change from cos, sin, to variables of z, I get:

[itex] 2iz^2 + 6iz + 2i[/itex] in my denominator

The Attempt at a Solution

Looking for a singularity, will I use a quadratic for this denominator to find my two zeros and then use my positive result to calculate the residue?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, is this a pole of second order? Yes, I think it is. But what this means is that I will have to take a derivative of this fraction with polynomials? I have tried to simplify it into products but to no avail.

You forgot to write ##d\theta## in terms of ##dz##.

Yes, you need to use the quadratic equation to factor the denominator. All of the poles in this problem are simple poles.

Thanks Vela, I had that written but didn't include that. So, I found my residue for my singularity at [itex]z_0 = 0[/itex]
which was [itex]-\frac{1}{2}[/itex]

But when I find my residue for the [itex]z_0 = \frac{\sqrt5+3}{2}[/itex] (the value I got from my quadratic)
I got a residue = 0.
Quadratic being [itex](z^2)+3z+1[/itex]

What do you think? I see from some examples I've done that this IS possible, but this is homework so I'd like to know what you think?

Show your calculation of the residue. It shouldn't be 0. The integral, however, turns out to be equal to 0. You can see this by changing the interval of integration to ##-\pi## to ##\pi## and noting the integrand is an odd function.

Well for starters I am not getting my ([itex]z-z_0[/itex]) to cancel out, should I be using exponents instead of my z identities for the trig functions? The only reason I was able to get my residue at 0 was because [itex]\frac{z-0}{z}[/itex] occurred.

From what you just said, it's not clear at all to me what you're doing to evaluate the residue.

Using [itex] cos\theta = \frac{1}{2}(z+\frac{1}{z}) [/itex] and [itex] sin\theta = -\frac{1}{2i}(z-\frac{1}{z}) [/itex]

my residue simplifies to [itex]-\frac{(z-z_0)(z^2-1)}{z(6z+2z^2+2)}[/itex]

At [itex]z_0 = 0[/itex]

I get

[itex]Res[f,0] = 1/2[/itex]

but my other two roots, of the polynomial in the denominator, are giving me problems when trying to compute the residue.

[itex]\frac{1}{2}(\sqrt5-3)[/itex] and [itex]\frac{1}{2}(-3-\sqrt5)[/itex]

I think both these points are in my region? it's a full revolution yes?

I'm trying LHopital

Seemed to have worked! With my root that is within the circle [itex]
\frac{1}{2}(\sqrt5-3)
[/itex] I get [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]

And so [itex]\frac{1}{2} + (-\frac{1}{2}) = 0 = Res[f,0] + Res[f,\frac{1}{2}(\sqrt5-3)] [/itex]

KleZMeR said:
my residue simplifies to [itex]-\frac{(z-z_0)(z^2-1)}{z(6z+2z^2+2)}[/itex]
I wouldn't call that the residue. You mean the residue for a simple pole at ##z=z_0## is given by
$$b_1 = \lim_{z \to z_0} -\frac{(z-z_0)(z^2-1)}{z(6z+2z^2+2)}.$$

but my other two roots, of the polynomial in the denominator, are giving me problems when trying to compute the residue.
I still don't know what problem you ran into.

1. What is a definite integral in complex analysis?

A definite integral in complex analysis is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the area under a curve on a complex plane. It is used to evaluate the total change of a complex-valued function over a specific interval.

2. How is a definite integral with complex analysis different from a regular definite integral?

A definite integral with complex analysis differs from a regular definite integral in that it involves integrating complex-valued functions over a specific interval on a complex plane. This means that both the function and the interval are complex numbers, rather than real numbers in a regular definite integral.

3. What is the process for evaluating a definite integral with complex analysis?

The process for evaluating a definite integral with complex analysis involves finding an antiderivative of the complex-valued function, using the Cauchy-Riemann equations to check for analyticity, and then applying the Cauchy Integral Formula to find the value of the integral.

4. What are some applications of evaluating definite integrals with complex analysis?

Evaluating definite integrals with complex analysis has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is used to solve problems involving electric fields, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics, among others. It is also used in the study of complex functions and their properties.

5. What are some common challenges when working with definite integrals in complex analysis?

Some common challenges when working with definite integrals in complex analysis include finding antiderivatives of complex-valued functions, determining analyticity using the Cauchy-Riemann equations, and dealing with singularities and branch cuts. It is also important to be careful with the choice of contour when applying the Cauchy Integral Formula, as it can greatly affect the value of the integral.