Evaluate the Following Line Integral Part 2

In summary, the conversation discusses how to evaluate the integral \int_c zdx+xdy+ydz where C is given by t^2\vec i +t^3 \vec j +t^2 \vec k. The summary also includes a question about whether the integral can be written as \int_c z\vec i+x \vec j+y \vec k and how to proceed with evaluating it. The expert summarizer provides a dot product solution and walks through the steps of finding d\vec r(t) and solving the integral.
bugatti79

Homework Statement

[itex]\displaystyle \int_c zdx+xdy+ydz[/itex] where C is given by [itex]t^2\vec i +t^3 \vec j +t^2 \vec k[/itex]

Can this [itex]\displaystyle \int_c zdx+xdy+ydz[/itex] be written as [itex]\displaystyle \int_c z\vec i+x \vec j+y \vec k[/itex]?

I believe I need to evalute the integral [itex]\displaystyle \int_c \vec F( \vec r (t)) d\vec r(t)[/itex]...?

How do I proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi again bugatti79! :smile:

bugatti79 said:

Homework Statement

[itex]\displaystyle \int_c zdx+xdy+ydz[/itex] where C is given by [itex]t^2\vec i +t^3 \vec j +t^2 \vec k[/itex]

Can this [itex]\displaystyle \int_c zdx+xdy+ydz[/itex] be written as [itex]\displaystyle \int_c z\vec i+x \vec j+y \vec k[/itex]?

It should be:
[itex]\int_c (z\vec i+x \vec j+y \vec k) \cdot d\vec r(t)[/itex]

bugatti79 said:
I believe I need to evalute the integral [itex]\displaystyle \int_c \vec F( \vec r (t)) d\vec r(t)[/itex]...?

How do I proceed?

What would [itex]d\vec r(t)[/itex] be?

I like Serena said:

It should be:

How did you establish this?

I like Serena said:
What would [itex]d\vec r(t)[/itex] be

From what you have shown I rearranged to find [itex]d\vec r = \vec i dx+\vec j dy+ \vec k dz[/itex]...?

No, that wouldn't be right as dr is a function of t...

[itex]d\vec r = d(t^2 \vec i +t^3\vec j+ t^2\vec k)[/itex]

Last edited:
bugatti79 said:
How did you establish this?

What you have is a dot product:
[itex]zdx+xdy+ydz=(z,x,y) \cdot (dx,dy,dz)[/itex]

The vector (z,x,y) corresponds to your function [itex]\vec F(\vec r)[/itex]

The vector (dx,dy,dz) corresponds to your [itex]d\vec r(t)[/itex]

The vector (x,y,z) corresponds to your [itex]\vec r(t)[/itex]

bugatti79 said:
From what you have shown I rearranged to find [itex]d\vec r = \vec i dx+\vec j dy+ \vec k dz[/itex]...?

No, that wouldn't be right as dr is a function of t...

[itex]d\vec r = d(t^2 \vec i +t^3\vec j+ t^2\vec k)[/itex]

Yes, the latter.
Can you work this out as a derivative?

I like Serena said:

It should be:

What would [itex]d\vec r(t)[/itex] be?

[itex]\displaystyle \int_c (z\vec i+x \vec j+y \vec k) \cdot d\vec r(t)=\int_c (t^2 \vec i+t^2 \vec j+t^3 \vec k) \cdot (2t \vec i + 3t^2 \vec j + 2t \vec k)dt = \int_{0}^{1} (2t^3 +3t^4+2t^4) dt[/itex]...?

bugatti79 said:
[itex]\displaystyle \int_c (z\vec i+x \vec j+y \vec k) \cdot d\vec r(t)=\int_c (t^2 \vec i+t^2 \vec j+t^3 \vec k) \cdot (2t \vec i + 3t^2 \vec j + 2t \vec k)dt = \int_{0}^{1} (2t^3 +3t^4+2t^4) dt[/itex]...?

Yep!
(That was easy, was it not? :wink:)

Cheers! There will be more trickier ones along the way. :-) Thanks

What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral used in multivariable calculus to calculate the area under a curve in a three-dimensional space. It involves integrating a function along a given path or curve.

How do you evaluate a line integral?

To evaluate a line integral, you first need to parametrize the curve or path that the function is being integrated along. Then, you integrate the function with respect to the parametric variable over the given limits of integration.

What is the significance of evaluating a line integral?

Evaluating a line integral can help us calculate physical quantities such as work, flux, and circulation. It also allows us to find the total area under a curve in a three-dimensional space.

What are some common techniques used to evaluate line integrals?

Some common techniques used to evaluate line integrals include the fundamental theorem of line integrals, Green's theorem, and Stokes' theorem. These theorems provide powerful tools to simplify the calculation of line integrals.

Can a line integral be evaluated without using a parametric curve?

Yes, a line integral can be evaluated without using a parametric curve. In some cases, the curve can be described by an implicit function or a set of equations. In such cases, we can use substitution or other techniques to evaluate the line integral.