1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluate the integral along the paths

1. Jul 10, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    opgave formulering.PNG

2. Relevant equations and 3. The attempt at a solution
    Blundell.PNG

The assignment that I'm struggling with can be seen under the heading titled 1. and my attempt at a solution can be seen in 2. and 3.

Obviously, what I'm doing is wrong. I've surely misunderstood the problem statement. Will someone please help me?

Thank you in advance.

-Schwarzschild

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There seems to be only two attachments to your post. I think attachment #3 is missing.

4. Jul 10, 2016 #3
    Hi SteamKing

There's no third attachment, sorry, English is not my first language.

-Schwarzschild

5. Jul 10, 2016 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You seem to be ready to evaluate z between the applicable limits, but you don't appear to show a final result.

6. Jul 10, 2016 #5

Delta²

Gold Member

Not sure what you doing there, lets take

(I) for the path ##(x_1,y_1)->(x_2,y_1)->(x_2,y_2)## (going through straight line segments) we ll have

##\int\limits_{(x_1,y_1)}^{(x_2,y_2)}2xydx=\int\limits_{(x_1,y_1)}^{(x_2,y_1)}2xydx+\int\limits_{(x_2,y_1)}^{(x_2,y_2)}2xydx=\int\limits_{(x_1,y_1)}^{(x_2,y_1)}2xydx+ 0=(x_2^2-x_1^2)y_1##.

You can work similar for ##\int (x^2+2xy)dy## seeing that it ll be zero for the straight line segment##(x_1,y_1)->(x_2,y_1)## so you need to evaluate it only for the straight line segment ##(x_2,y_1)->(x_2,y_2)##

Then you should calculate same things for the path in (II)

If the answer you get in (I) is different than that in (ii) then we can safely say that it is not an exact differential (why?).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted