1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating complex integral problem

1. Nov 18, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm having some trouble evaluating the integral
    $$\int^\infty_{-\infty} \frac{\sqrt{2a}}{\sqrt{\pi}}e^{-2ax^2}e^{-ikx}dx$$
    Where a and k are positive constants

2. Relevant equations
    I've been given the following integral results which may be of help
    $$\int^\infty_{-\infty} e^{-x^2} dx= \sqrt{\pi}$$$$\int^\infty_{-\infty} e^{-x^2}e^{-ikx} dx = \sqrt{\pi}e^{-\frac{k^2}{4}}$$
    3. The attempt at a solution
    The best I can come up with is
    $$\int^\infty_{-\infty} \frac{\sqrt{2a}}{\sqrt{\pi}}e^{-2ax^2}e^{-ikx}dx=\sqrt{2a}e^{-\frac{k^2}{8a}}$$
    But I'm not sure this is correct. Would someone be able to explain the steps to take to evaluate this integral so I can attempt to work it out myself. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2016 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you talking about using those standard integrals you've posted? Or do you want to derive those standard integrals?

In the first case, it's just a simple substitution, isn't it?

In terms of the answer, I think that factor of ##\sqrt{2a}## should have cancelled out.

4. Nov 18, 2016 #3
    Sorry, I'll give you the full story. Its an assignment question in which I have to use the overlap rule to find the probability that a measurement of the particles energy will give the ground state. The given wave functions are:
    $$Ψ(x,0)=\left(\frac{\sqrt{2a}}{\sqrt{\pi}}\right)^\frac{1}{4}e^{-ax^2}e^{-ikx}$$$$ψ(x)=\left(\frac{\sqrt{2a}}{\sqrt{\pi}}\right)^\frac{1}{4}e^{-ax^2}$$
    The other integrals ##\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-x^2}dx=\sqrt{\pi}## and ##\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-x^2}e^{-ikx}dx=\sqrt{\pi}e^{-\frac{k^2}{4}}## where given in the question as integral values which may be useful.

The overlap integral I'm using is:
    $$p=\left| \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}ψ^*(x)Ψ(x,0)dx \right|^2 $$
    After substituting in the wave function values and simplifying a bit I've eventually ended up with:
    $$p=\left| \frac{\sqrt{2a}}{\sqrt{\pi}} \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-2ax^2}e^{-ikx}dx \right|^2$$
    Which is where I'm getting stuck.

I was thinking I need to do something to ##\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-2ax^2}e^{-ikx}dx## and get it into the form ##\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-x^2}e^{-ikx}dx##. I've tried completing the square and using substitution which is how I got to the answer ##\sqrt{2a}e^{-\frac{k^2}{8a}}## but I'm not confident I've done it right. Really I just need some help evaluating ##\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-2ax^2}e^{-ikx}dx##. Thanks.

5. Nov 18, 2016 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just do the substitution ##u = \sqrt{2a}x##.

I think you just made an algebraic error the first time.

By the way, when you have a parameter in a standard integral, ##k## in this case, it's best to replace that with a parameter you are not going to use in your working. E.g. Use ##\lambda## here.

That makes it easier than using ##k## for two different things.

6. Nov 18, 2016 #5
    Thanks for the tip!
    I think this is where I'm getting confused. I thought the substitution ##u=\sqrt{2a}x## would mess the integral up and make it ##\frac{1}{\sqrt{2a}}\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-u^2}e^{-ikx} dx##?

7. Nov 18, 2016 #6

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you can't do integration then QM will be hard indeed. You must substitute ##u## all the way thru the integral. Just replacing ##x## in one place is no good.

8. Nov 18, 2016 #7
    Ok, thanks for your help with this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted