1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Evaluate the integral by changing to cylindrical coordinates.

1. Jun 3, 2010 #1
    I wish I knew how to type this out with the proper symbols but here it goes. It says to change the following to cylindrical coordinates and evaluate

(x^2 + y^2)^(1/2) dz dy dx where -3<=x<=3, 0<=y<=(9-9x^2)^1/2, 0<=z<=9-x^2-y^2

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I got 162pi/5

Would anybody mind confirming?

Cheers!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

That upper limit on the y-integral can't be "[itex]\sqrt{9- 9x^2}[/itex]" since that would give an ellipse with semi-axis on the x-axis 1- x can't go from 0 to 3 inside that!

I will assume this is actually
    [tex]\int_{x=0}^3\int_{y=0}^{\sqrt{9- x^2}} \int_{z= 0}^{9- x^2- y^2}dzdydx[/tex]

That, now, is an integration over the eighth of a sphere, in the first quadrant, with center at (0, 0, 0) and radius 3.

In cylindrical coordinates, r will go from 0 to 3 while [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from 0 to [itex]\pi/2[/itex]. z goes from 0 to [itex]9- x^2- y^2= 9- r^2[/itex] and the differential of volume is [itex]r dr d\theta[/itex].

To see the LaTex code for formulas in a post, just click on the formula.

4. Jun 3, 2010 #3
    Yes that is the correct integral. IM curious as to why its from 0 to pi/2. If the x value is from -3 to 3, isnt that a half a circle, hence 0 to pi?

5. Jun 4, 2010 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

You are right- I misread the problem. If you look at my first integral, you will see I have x running from 0 to 3 rather than -3 to 3.

Yes, [itex]\theta[/itex] should go from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex], not [itex]\pi/2[/itex].

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook