Evaluating a Complicated Integral; why is this method incorrect?

In summary, the conversation was about solving a differential equation and integrating an associated integral using partial fractions. The person was unsure why their method of substitution was incorrect and wanted to confirm if it had something to do with a sign issue. The expert summarizer noted that the person's completion of the square was incorrect and suggested correcting it before continuing.
AmagicalFishy

Homework Statement

Solve (k and Q are constants):
[tex]\frac{dP}{dt} = kP(Q-P)[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]∫\frac{1}{x^2 + a^2} = \frac{1}{a} arctan(\frac{x}{a})[/tex]
Where "a" is a constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, none of this seems relevant to evaluating a complicated integral, but that differential problem is what gave rise to my question. I know how to solve it (and solve the associated integral using partial fractions), but I don't know why my uh... adventurous method of solving the integral is wrong. This is about solving an integral, not the ODE. :)

It's frequently the case that I understand one way of solving a problem, but don't understand why solving it another way is incorrect. If I can't differentiate between the correct and incorrect ways, then I'm not getting anywhere.

[tex]\frac{dP}{dt} = kP(Q-P) \\
\frac{dP}{dt} = k(PQ-P^2) \\
\frac{dP}{dt} + \frac{kQ^2}{4}= k(PQ-P^2 +\frac{Q^2}{4}) \text{—Completing the Square}\\
\frac{dP}{dt} = k(P-\frac{Q}{2})^2 - \frac{kQ^2}{4} \\
\frac{1}{k(P-\frac{Q}{2})^2 - \frac{kQ^2}{4}} dP = dt \\
\frac{1}{\sqrt(k)^2(P-\frac{Q}{2})^2 - \frac{\sqrt{k}^2Q^2}{4}} dP = dt \\
(1) = \frac{1}{[\sqrt(k)(P-\frac{Q}{2})]^2 - [\frac{\sqrt{k}Q}{2}]^2} dP = dt \\

\text{Let:} \\
\sqrt(k)(P-\frac{Q}{2}) = x \\
- [\frac{\sqrt{k}Q}{2}] = a\\
\frac{dx}{\sqrt(k)-\frac{Q}{2}} = dP \\
\\
\text{Then:} \\
(1) = \frac{1}{\sqrt(k)-\frac{Q}{2}}\frac{1}{x^2 + a^2} dx = dt \\
\frac{1}{\sqrt(k)-\frac{Q}{2}}∫\frac{1}{x^2 + a^2} dx = ∫dt
[/tex]

When you integrate both sides, you use the above arctangent equation and replace "x" and "a" respectively. In the above substitution, "a" is a constant and "x" is the variable.

Algebraically, this all seems correct to me. I'm not worried about the answer to the differential equation—I'd like to know why evaluating that integral is incorrect. This is what I used to check whether or not this fruits the correct answer. If it had, Wolfram would say, simply, "True".

I think it has something to do with the substitution of "a" having a negative, where a sign issue invalidates everything, but I'd like to confirm that here.

Thanks for looking it through, anyone who does.

Physics news on Phys.org
AmagicalFishy said:
[tex]\frac{dP}{dt} = kP(Q-P) \\
\frac{dP}{dt} = k(PQ-P^2) \\
\frac{dP}{dt} + \frac{kQ^2}{4}= k(PQ-P^2 +\frac{Q^2}{4}) \text{—Completing the Square}[/tex]

Except, that does not complete the square. You have a sign wrong for that.

... mother f#&@

ffffffuuuuuuuu.png

Thanks, dude. I just... ugh. :l

1. Can you explain the process of evaluating a complicated integral?

Evaluating a complicated integral involves breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts and using techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities to simplify the integral. It is important to carefully follow the rules of integration and pay attention to any restrictions on the domain of the integral.

2. Why is it important to be careful when evaluating a complicated integral?

Being careful when evaluating a complicated integral is crucial because a small error in the calculation can lead to a significantly different result. Additionally, some integrals may have multiple solutions or no solution at all, so it is important to double-check the work and ensure accuracy.

3. What are some common mistakes when evaluating a complicated integral?

Some common mistakes when evaluating a complicated integral include forgetting to apply the chain rule or product rule, integrating incorrectly, or using the wrong substitution. It is also important to pay attention to any discontinuities or singularities in the integrand that may require special techniques to evaluate.

4. Why is this method for evaluating a complicated integral considered incorrect?

This method may be considered incorrect because it relies heavily on intuition and guesswork rather than following the proper rules and techniques of integration. It can also lead to errors and inconsistencies in the final solution.

5. What are some alternative methods for evaluating a complicated integral?

Some alternative methods for evaluating a complicated integral include using computer software or calculators, using numerical integration techniques such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule, or breaking the integral into smaller pieces and using known integration formulas for each piece.