Evaluating a simple complex expression

In summary, a simple complex expression is a mathematical equation that includes real and imaginary numbers, variables, and basic operations. To evaluate it, one must follow the order of operations and avoid common mistakes such as forgetting the correct order or making calculation errors. It is important to evaluate these expressions to determine their value and understand their relationship with variables and constants. Multiple solutions are possible for simple complex expressions due to the inclusion of variables and the nature of complex numbers.
NewtonianAlch

Homework Statement

ℝ(3-7i)^4

Is this asking for just the real part of this complex expression? I suppose I could go about expanding the whole thing out, but is there a more convenient method? We've learned a few methods, such as expressing it in polar form and such. But here the angle would be tan inverse of (-7/3) which renders it to some -66.80140949...

which makes it pretty hard to express in nice Pi angles.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think expanding is the simplest. First, expand (3-7i)^2 and simplify, then square again.

ehild

What is a simple complex expression?

A simple complex expression is a mathematical equation that involves both real and imaginary numbers. It usually contains variables, constants, and mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

How do you evaluate a simple complex expression?

To evaluate a simple complex expression, you must follow the order of operations, which is PEMDAS (Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, Addition and Subtraction). Start by simplifying any expressions within parentheses, then evaluate any exponents, followed by multiplication and division from left to right, and finally addition and subtraction from left to right.

What are the common mistakes when evaluating a simple complex expression?

The most common mistakes when evaluating a simple complex expression include forgetting to follow the order of operations, making calculation errors, not simplifying the expression completely, and mixing up real and imaginary numbers.

Why is it important to evaluate a simple complex expression?

Evaluating a simple complex expression is important because it allows you to determine the value of the equation and understand the relationship between the variables and constants. It also helps in solving more complex mathematical problems and applications in various scientific fields.

Can a simple complex expression have multiple solutions?

Yes, a simple complex expression can have multiple solutions. This is because it can contain variables, and the value of the variables can change, resulting in different solutions. Additionally, some equations may have more than one possible solution due to the nature of complex numbers.