Integrating power of a cosine times a complex exponential

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for solving an inner product without using the residue theorem. The method involves rewriting the rational function using geometric series and then using complex exponentials and binomial theorem to rewrite the cosine function. The final expression involves a Kronecker delta, indicating that the integral is only non-zero when 2j - n - k = 0.
bcf

Homework Statement

Consider the inner product
$$\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_0^{2\pi} \left(\frac{3}{5 - 4\cos(x)}\right) e^{-ikx} dx, \quad k \in \mathbb{Z}, \quad x \in \mathbb{R}.$$

Homework Equations

Is there a method to solve this without using the residue theorem, e.g. integration by parts, a clever substitution, etc.?

The Attempt at a Solution

One attempt: First rewrite the rational function using geometric series:
$$\frac{3}{5 - 4\cos(x)} = \frac{3}{5}\sum_{n = 0}^\infty (\frac{4}{5}\cos(x))^n$$.
This gives the integral (assuming we can swap the series and integration?)
$$\frac{1}{2\pi}\frac{3}{5} \sum_{n = 0}^\infty (\frac{4}{5})^n\int_0^{2\pi} \cos^n(x) e^{-ikx} dx.$$
Now, rewrite the cosine function in terms of complex exponentials, then use binomial theroem:
$$ \cos^n(x) = (\frac{1}{2}(e^{ix} + e^{-ix}))^n = (\frac{1}{2})^n \sum_{j = 0}^n {n \choose j} e^{ijx}e^{-i(n-j)x}.$$
Sub this into the integral and apply linearity, so we're now have the expression
$$\frac{1}{2\pi}\frac{3}{5} \sum_{n = 0}^\infty (\frac{4}{5})^n (\frac{1}{2})^n \sum_{j = 0}^n {n \choose j} \int_0^{2\pi} \exp(i(2j - n - k)x) dx.$$
At least now I have an integral I know how to evaluate. The integral is zero unless 2j - n - k = 0, in which case it is simply 2*pi. The question is how to write the final expression, knowing that all terms are zero except when 2j -n = k?

Physics news on Phys.org
You could have started out rewriting the cosine as complex exponentials at the start - or writing the exponential as a sum of trig functions and using a table of trig identities maybe?

May work to represent the integral as a differential equation.

Like you, I'd be tempted to try some sort of series expansion - that's mostly useful where I am allowed to take an approximation though.

Per your question: looks like the Kronecker delta is your friend there.
The integral is zero unless 2j - n - k = 0, in which case it is simply 2*pi.
would be: $$\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_0^{2\pi} \exp \big[i (2j-n-k)x\big]\;\text{d}x = \delta_{2j,n+k}$$... or something?

Last edited:

What is the formula for integrating power of a cosine times a complex exponential?

The formula for integrating power of a cosine times a complex exponential is ∫eaxcos(bx)ndx = (½e(a+ib)x+½e(a-ib)x)∫cosn(bx)dx where a and b are real constants and n is a positive integer.

What is the process for evaluating this type of integral?

To evaluate an integral of power of a cosine times a complex exponential, first use the above formula to rewrite the integral. Then, use trigonometric identities to simplify the expression. Finally, use integration by parts or substitution to evaluate the remaining integral.

Can this type of integral be evaluated without using complex numbers?

Yes, this type of integral can also be evaluated without using complex numbers by using a different formula: ∫cos(ax)cos(bx)ndx = (½cos[(a+b)x]+½cos[(a-b)x])∫cosn(bx)dx. This formula is derived by using the trigonometric identity cos(a+b)x = cos(ax)cos(bx) - sin(ax)sin(bx).

What are some common applications of this type of integral?

This type of integral is commonly used in physics and engineering to model oscillating systems, such as electrical circuits and mechanical vibrations. It is also used in signal processing and communication systems to analyze and manipulate signals.

Are there any special cases where the integration process is simplified?

Yes, there are a few special cases where the integration process for this type of integral is simplified. These include when n is equal to 1, when a is equal to 0, and when b is equal to 0. In these cases, the integral can be evaluated using basic integration techniques without the need for the above formulas.