Evaluating an exponential function that models a real-world situation

In summary, the sky diver falls at a constant velocity (v) towards the Earth's surface, and after 6 seconds the velocity is 55 m/s.
Drakkith
Mentor

Homework Statement

Suppose that the velocity v(t) (in m/s) of a sky diver falling near the Earth's surface is given by the following exponential function, where time is measured in seconds.

v(t) = 55 (1-e-0.18(t))

Find the initial velocity of the sky diver and the velocity after 6 seconds.
Round your answers to the nearest whole number as necessary.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what e is, so I can't even attempt this. And it's an online course with no book, just an online program we have to use for everything. It doesn't tell me what e is either.

Physics news on Phys.org
Drakkith said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that the velocity v(t) (in m/s) of a sky diver falling near the Earth's surface is given by the following exponential function, where time is measured in seconds.

v(t) = 55 (1-e-0.18(t))

Find the initial velocity of the sky diver and the velocity after 6 seconds.
Round your answers to the nearest whole number as necessary.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what e is, so I can't even attempt this. And it's an online course with no book, just an online program we have to use for everything. It doesn't tell me what e is either.

e is Euler's number. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_(mathematical_constant)

Dick said:

Thanks. I couldn't even find e in the 'dictionary' part of the program. You'd think they'd give it to you if you have to use it...

Drakkith said:
Thanks. I couldn't even find e in the 'dictionary' part of the program. You'd think they'd give it to you if you have to use it...

Yes, they probably should. Though it's kind of standard.

You run into e a lot, especially in connection with natural logs.

d/dx (e^x) = e^x

Integral (e^x) dx = e^x + C

e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0, which relates e, pi, i, 0, and 1 in a single formula [i = SQRT (-1)]

What is an exponential function?

An exponential function is a mathematical function in the form of f(x) = ab^x, where a and b are constants and x is the independent variable. It is characterized by its rapid growth or decay as x increases or decreases.

How do I evaluate an exponential function?

To evaluate an exponential function, simply plug in the given value for x into the function and solve for the output, or y-value. Make sure to use the correct order of operations and to evaluate any exponents or logarithms first.

What is the significance of using an exponential function to model a real-world situation?

An exponential function can accurately model real-world situations that involve exponential growth or decay, such as population growth, compound interest, and radioactive decay. It allows us to make predictions and analyze trends in these situations.

What are some key properties of exponential functions?

Exponential functions have a constant base, a positive slope, and a non-zero y-intercept. As x increases, the function grows or decays at a faster rate. They also have an inverse relationship with logarithmic functions.

How can I determine if an exponential function accurately models a real-world situation?

To determine if an exponential function accurately models a real-world situation, you can compare the function's predictions to actual data from the situation. If the function's predictions closely match the actual data, then it is a good model. You can also use regression analysis to determine the correlation coefficient, which measures the strength of the relationship between the function and the data.