Evaluating an Inverse Trigonometric Function

In summary, the student is trying to solve a homework equation, but doesn't understand why their mentor is suggesting using sin^-1(sinθ)=θ. After some basic trig identities, they realize that cos70° can be replaced with sinθ and the equation is then accurately represented by sin^-1(sin20°)=θ.
thatguythere

Homework Statement

Evaluate sin^-1(cos70°)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

sin^-1(cos70°)=θ
sinθ=cos70°
sinθ=1/2
sinθ=∏/3

Physics news on Phys.org
thatguythere said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate sin^-1(cos70°)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

sin^-1(cos70°)=θ
sinθ=cos70°
sinθ=1/2
sinθ=∏/3

First use cos(90° - θ ) = sinθ and then sin-1(sinθ) = θ

Also, cos(70°) ≠ 1/2 and there is no real number θ for which sin(θ) = ##\pi/3## > 1.

Could you possibly explain the cos(90°-θ)=sinθ?

Ah a trig identity I see.
So cos(90°-70°)=sinθ
cos(20°)=sinθ
0.94=sinθ

sin^-1(sinθ)=θ
sin^-1(0.94)=θ
0.94=θ

Last edited:
thatguythere said:
Ah a trig identity I see.
So cos(90°-70°)=sinθ
No, cos(90°-70°) = cos(20°) = sin(70°).
In general, cos(90° - θ) = sin(θ).
thatguythere said:
cos(20°)=sinθ
0.94=sinθ

sin^-1(sinθ)=θ
sin^-1(0.94)=θ
0.94=θ

Most of the above makes no sense, with each line having little or no relation to the preceding line. Your value for θ is incorrect, and you could easily check that it is incorrect by using a calculator.

Alright. So if cos(90°-x)=sinx, which in my case is 70°, I still do not understand why Tanya then encourages me to use sin^-1(sinθ)=θ. How is cos70° to be replaced by sinθ? By the trig identities, sin(90°-x)=cosx, it is sin20° which is equivalent to cos70°. Would my equation then be accurately represented by sin^-1(sin20°)=θ and then simply by using cancellation identities reduced to 20°=θ?

thatguythere said:
Alright. So if cos(90°-x)=sinx, which in my case is 70°, I still do not understand why Tanya then encourages me to use sin^-1(sinθ)=θ.
Because f-1(f(x)) = x, as long as x is in the domain of f. That's a basic property of a function and its inverse. It's also true that f(f-1(y)) = y, when y is in the domain of f-1. In short, the composition of a function and its inverse "cancels."
thatguythere said:
How is cos70° to be replaced by sinθ?
There's really no need for you to use θ, here, and I think that it is confusing you.
thatguythere said:
By the trig identities, sin(90°-x)=cosx, it is sin20° which is equivalent to cos70°.
Not equivalent to - equal to.
cos(70°) = cos(90° - 20°) = sin(20°)
thatguythere said:
Would my equation then be accurately represented by sin^-1(sin20°)=θ and then simply by using cancellation identities reduced to 20°=θ?
Make it simpler by getting rid of θ.

sin-1(sin(20°)) = ?

sin^-1(sin(20°))=20°=∏/9

thatguythere said:
sin^-1(sin(20°))=20°=∏/9
Yes.

I apologize for being so confused, independent study is not being kind to me. Thank you very much, your help is immensely appreciated.

thatguythere said:
I apologize for being so confused, independent study is not being kind to me. Thank you very much, your help is immensely appreciated.
Sure, you're welcome!

Thanks Mark for nicely guiding the OP.

That's what they pay me for!

Oh, wait - I'm an unpaid volunteer.

Mark44 said:
That's what they pay me for!

Oh, wait - I'm an unpaid volunteer.

and an excellent mentor :smile:

1. What is an inverse trigonometric function?

An inverse trigonometric function is a mathematical function that calculates the angle needed to produce a specific value in a trigonometric function. For example, if we know the sine of an angle, the inverse sine function can help us find the angle itself.

2. How do you evaluate an inverse trigonometric function?

To evaluate an inverse trigonometric function, you first need to identify which function you are working with (such as sine, cosine, or tangent). Then, you can use a calculator or mathematical tables to find the inverse of the function. Alternatively, you can use algebraic manipulation to solve for the angle.

3. What is the domain and range of an inverse trigonometric function?

The domain of an inverse trigonometric function is the set of all possible input values (or angles) that can be plugged into the function. The range is the set of all possible output values (or angles) that the function can produce. In general, the domain of an inverse trigonometric function is restricted to specific intervals to ensure that the function is one-to-one (has a unique output for each input).

4. Can you evaluate an inverse trigonometric function without a calculator?

Yes, you can evaluate an inverse trigonometric function without a calculator by using algebraic techniques. For example, you can use the unit circle to find the reference angle and then apply trigonometric identities to solve for the angle.

5. What are some real-world applications of inverse trigonometric functions?

Inverse trigonometric functions are commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation. They can be used to calculate the angles and distances in geometric problems, as well as to model real-life situations involving periodic motion (such as the position of a pendulum or the motion of a satellite).