1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating improper intergral with trig function

1. Sep 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Okay so the problem is asking simply for a proof for convergence /divergence of the following indefinite integral:

∫(x*sin2(x))/(x3-1) over [2,∞)

2. Relevant equations

I know I can use substitution method
    3. The attempt at a solution

Okay so I know if i factorize the bottom part of the integral I get:

∫(x*sin2(x))/(x-1)(x-1)(x2+x+1).

Now obviously I am not sure if this a very elemetary problem or indeed quite challenging. I have tried substituion making u = (x3-1) but than didn't really work... Not sure what else I should try

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2015 #2
    I dont think that the problem wants you to solve the improper integral. Rather, it wants you to perform some test for convergence / divergence.

4. Sep 6, 2015 #3

That's what I thought, as the computation of the improper integral would probably be too challenging... Should I use the limit test? In other words compare the overall function to the convergence/divergence of 1/x3 as it approaches 2

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  5. Sep 6, 2015 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't need to worry about the lower limit x = 2, because nothing bad happens to the integrand ##f(x) = x \sin^2(x)/(x^3-1)## as ##x \to 2##. However, you do need to worry about the upper limit as ##x \to \infty##. Your textbook and/or course notes must have some relevant tests to use; try out some of them, then come back here if you still have some questions and issues.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted