Evaluation of Indefinite Integral

In summary, the calculation of $\displaystyle \int\frac{\sqrt{\cos 2x}}{\sin x}dx$ is as follows: first, use the substitution $u = \cosh^{-1}(\sqrt{2} t)$ to get $u = \int\frac{\left(2t^2-1\right)}{(t^2-1)\cdot \sqrt{2t^2-1}}dt$; second, use the partial fraction decomposition to get $\frac{2}{t^2-1} = \frac{1}{t-1} - \frac{1}{t+1}$; third, use the quadr
juantheron
Calculation of \(\displaystyle \int\frac{\sqrt{\cos 2x}}{\sin x}dx\)

**My Try \(\displaystyle :: I = \int\frac{\sqrt{\cos 2x}}{\sin x}dx = \int\frac{\cos 2x}{\sin x\cdot \sqrt{\cos 2x}}\cdot \frac{\sin x}{\sin x}dx = \int\frac{\sqrt{2\cos^2 x-1}}{\left(1-\cos^2 x\right)\cdot \sqrt{2\cos^2 x-1}}\cdot \sin x dx\)Now Let \(\displaystyle \cos x = t\) and \(\displaystyle \sin xdx = -dt\)So Integral \(\displaystyle I = \int\frac{\left(2t^2-1\right)}{(t^2-1)\cdot \sqrt{2t^2-1}}dt\)

Now I did not Understand How can i proceed further.

Help me for solving above Question.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
jacks said:
Calculation of \(\displaystyle \int\frac{\sqrt{\cos 2x}}{\sin x}dx\)

**My Try \(\displaystyle :: I = \int\frac{\sqrt{\cos 2x}}{\sin x}dx = \int\frac{\cos 2x}{\sin x\cdot \sqrt{\cos 2x}}\cdot \frac{\sin x}{\sin x}dx = \int\frac{\sqrt{2\cos^2 x-1}}{\left(1-\cos^2 x\right)\cdot \sqrt{2\cos^2 x-1}}\cdot \sin x dx\)Now Let \(\displaystyle \cos x = t\) and \(\displaystyle \sin xdx = -dt\)So Integral \(\displaystyle I = \int\frac{\left(2t^2-1\right)}{(t^2-1)\cdot \sqrt{2t^2-1}}dt\)

Now I did not Understand How can i proceed further.

Help me for solving above Question.

Thanks

You're on the right track. Let's continue from where you left off. Break up the integral as

$\displaystyle 2\int \frac{dt}{\sqrt{2t^2-1}} + \int \frac{dt}{(t^2-1)\sqrt{2t^2-1}}$.

The first integral is

$\displaystyle \sqrt{2}\log|\sqrt{2}t + \sqrt{2t^2-1}| + C$,

which can be obtained by using the $u$-substitution $u = \cosh^{-1}(\sqrt{2} t)$.

The second integral takes more work. Using the partial fraction decomposition

$\displaystyle \frac{2}{t^2-1} = \frac{1}{t-1} - \frac{1}{t+1}$

we write the second integral as

$\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\left(\int \frac{dt}{(t-1)\sqrt{t^2-1}} - \int \frac{dt}{(t+1)\sqrt{t^2-1}}\right)$.

To evalute these integrals, we'll consider a general quadratic $R(u) = R_{a, b, c}(u) := au^2 + bu + c$ and use the formula

$\displaystyle (*) \int \frac{du}{u\sqrt{R}} = -\frac{1}{\sqrt{c}}\log\left|\frac{\sqrt{R} + \sqrt{c}}{u} + \frac{b}{2\sqrt{c}}\right| + C, \quad \text{$c > 0$} $.

This formula may be derived by using the substitution $v = \frac{1}{u}$ and the formula

$\displaystyle \int \frac{dv}{\sqrt{R_{c, b, a}}} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{c}}\log|2cv + b + 2\sqrt{c}\sqrt{R_{c, b, a}}| + C$.

With formula (*) at hand, we evaluate

$\displaystyle \int \frac{dt}{(t-1)\sqrt{2t^2-1}}$

$\displaystyle = -\log\left|\frac{\sqrt{R_{1,2,1/2}(t-1)} + \sqrt{\frac{1}{2}}}{t-1} + \sqrt{2}\right| + C$

$\displaystyle = -\log\left|\frac{\sqrt{t^2-\frac{1}{2}} + \sqrt{\frac{1}{2}}}{t-1} + \sqrt{2}\right| + C$

$\displaystyle = -\log\left|\frac{\sqrt{2t^2-1}+2t-1}{t-1}\right| + C$.

By a similar analysis,

$\displaystyle \int \frac{dt}{(t+1)\sqrt{2t^2-1}} = -\log\left|\frac{\sqrt{2t^2-1}-2t-1}{t+1}\right| + C$.

Thus

$\displaystyle \int \frac{dt}{(t^2-1)\sqrt{2t^2-1}}$

$\displaystyle = \frac{1}{2}\log\left|\frac{\sqrt{2t^2-1}-2t-1}{\sqrt{2t^2-1}-2t+1}\right| - \frac{1}{2}\log\left|\frac{t+1}{t-1}\right| + C$

$\displaystyle =\frac{1}{2}\log\left|\frac{\sqrt{\cos(2x)} - 2\cos(x) - 1}{\sqrt{\cos(2x)} - 2\cos(x) + 1}\right| + \frac{1}{2}\log\left|\frac{\cos(x) + 1}{\cos(x) - 1}\right|+C$.

At last, we obtain

$\displaystyle \int \frac{\sqrt{\cos(2x)}}{\sin(x)}\, dx$

$\displaystyle = \sqrt{2}\log|\sqrt{2}\cos(x) + \cos(2x)| + \frac{1}{2}\log\left|\frac{\sqrt{\cos(2x)} - 2\cos(x) - 1}{\sqrt{\cos(2x)} - 2\cos(x) + 1}\right| - \frac{1}{2}\log\left|\frac{\cos(x) + 1}{\cos(x) - 1}\right| + C$.

Last edited:
I just wanted to remark that in the expression just above the phrase "At last, we obtain," there should be an $=$ sign to the left and a $+C$ to the right.

Euge said:
I just wanted to remark that in the expression just above the phrase "At last, we obtain," there should be an $=$ sign to the left and a $+C$ to the right.

I just had to fix such a beautiful post. :D

Related to Evaluation of Indefinite Integral

1. What is an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral is a mathematical concept that represents the antiderivative of a function. It is a way to find the original function when given its derivative.

2. How is an indefinite integral evaluated?

An indefinite integral is evaluated by using the reverse of the power rule, which states that the integral of x^n is (x^(n+1))/(n+1). This process is known as integration, and requires knowledge of various integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions.

3. Why is evaluating indefinite integrals important?

Evaluating indefinite integrals is important because it allows us to solve a wide range of real-world problems, such as finding the distance traveled by an object given its velocity or determining the amount of work done by a force. It also plays a crucial role in advanced mathematical concepts, including differential equations and multivariable calculus.

4. Can indefinite integrals have different forms?

Yes, indefinite integrals can have different forms depending on the function being integrated. Some common forms include trigonometric, logarithmic, and exponential integrals. These forms require different techniques to evaluate, making it important to have a solid understanding of integration methods.

5. How can I check my answer when evaluating an indefinite integral?

You can check your answer by taking the derivative of the antiderivative you found. If the derivative matches the original function, then your answer is correct. You can also use online tools or graphing calculators to graph both the original function and the antiderivative to visually confirm that they are the same.