Evaluting Summation of Mutiplied Terms

In summary: \sum_{i=1}^n (i+1) a^i = \sum_{i=1}^n \left(\frac{d}{da} a^{i+1}\right) = \frac{d}{da} \left(\sum_{i=1}^n a^{i+1}\right)
vsector

Homework Statement

Evaluate the sums: [itex]\sum^{n}_{i=1}ia^{i}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming that because there's no limit or anything, the professor wants an equation. I know [itex]\sum^{n}_{i=1}i[/itex] is [itex]\frac{1}{2}n(n+1)[/itex] and [itex]\sum^{n}_{i=1}a^{i}[/itex] is [itex]\frac{a^{n+1} - 1}{a-1}-1[/itex] but how do you deal with them when multiplied? I can't separate it out like I can in addition. Do I use integrals?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are different ways of doing this. There is a way to do it using calculus. Think about letting a be a variable, and integrating to get another expression that you know how to evaluate.

I'm sorry, I'm really lost.

There's a relation between summation and integration somewhere that I can use to my advantage is what I got from your reply. It's been a while since I've done any Calculus.

Is there a resource available that I can study this more in depth? All I have is an Algorithms textbook and the Appendix is rather sparse.

*EDIT*

I'm sorry, I realize a different version of the problem is easier to do with calculus. That's the sum of (i+1)a^i.

Try to evaluate the sum of (i+1)a^i from i=1 to n first. Integrating (i+1)a^i with respect to i, you get a^(i+1). Now, you have n terms in the sum. The integral of the sum is simply the sum of the integrals of the individual terms, i.e. the sum of the terms a^(i+1) from i=1 to n. This you already know a formula for. How would you proceed from here?

Just to clarify, the method I'm proposing is NOT treating the sum as an integral. Rather, it's to integrate the expression to yield an easier expression which you can evaluate. Then you would need to take the derivative of that to get back the desired result.

I'll show you a different method as well, which doesn't use Calculus.

Let S represent the sum S=a+2a^2+...+na^n. Multiplying by a, we get aS=a^2+2a^3+...na^(n+1). Subtracting the latter equation from the former, we get (1-a)S=a+a^2+a^3+...+a^n-na^(n+1). The right side consists of a summation you already know how to evaluate (a+a^2+...+a^n) plus an extra term. Now it's just a matter of algebra to find S.

Last edited:
grief said:
Just to clarify, the method I'm proposing is NOT treating the sum as an integral. Rather, it's to integrate the expression to yield an easier expression which you can evaluate. Then you would need to take the derivative of that to get back the desired result.

I'll show you a different method as well, which doesn't use Calculus.

Let S represent the sum S=a+2a^2+...+na^n. Multiplying by a, we get aS=a^2+2a^3+...na^(n+1). Subtracting the latter equation from the former, we get (1-a)S=a+a^2+a^3+...+a^n-na^(n+1). The right side consists of a summation you already know how to evaluate (a+a^2+...+a^n) plus an extra term. Now it's just a matter of algebra to find S.

Brilliant!

Lesse,

[itex]S = a + 2a^2 + 3a^3 + \ldots + na^n[/itex]
[itex]aS = a^2 + 2a^3 = 3a^4 + \ldots + na^{n+1}[/itex]

Subtracting, I get:

[itex]S(1 - a) = a + a^2 + a^3 + a^4 + \ldots + a^n + na^{n + 1}[/itex]
[itex]S(1 - a) = \frac{a^{n+1} - 1}{a - 1} - 1 + na^{n + 1}[/itex]
[itex]S = \frac{a^{n+1} - 1}{(a - 1)(1 - a)} - \frac{1}{1 - a} + \frac{na^{n + 1}}{1 - a}[/itex]
[itex]S = \frac{a^{n+1} - 1 - (a - 1) + na^{n+1}(a - 1)}{(a - 1)(1 - a)}[/itex]
[itex]S = \frac{a^{n+1} - a + na^{n+1}(a - 1)}{(a - 1)(1 - a)}[/itex]

I guess I can't get any neater than that.

EDIT: Whoops. Did it incorrectly.

[itex]S(1 - a) = \frac{a^{n+1} - 1}{a - 1} - 1 - na^{n + 1}[/itex]
[itex]S = \frac{a^{n+1} - 1}{(a - 1)(1 - a)} - \frac{1}{1 - a} - \frac{na^{n + 1}}{1 - a}[/itex]
[itex]S = \frac{a^{n+1} - 1 - (a - 1) - na^{n+1}(a - 1)}{(a - 1)(1 - a)}[/itex]
[itex]S = \frac{a^{n+1} - a - na^{n+1}(a - 1)}{(a - 1)(1 - a)}[/itex]
[itex]S = \frac{a^{n+1} - a - na^{n+1}(a - 1)}{(a - 1)(1 - a)}[/itex]

The other way you mentioned:

Erm...

[itex]\sum^n_{i=1}\int(i + 1)a^i di = \sum^n_{i=1}a^{i+1} = \frac{a^{n+1} - 1}{a - 1} - 1 - a + a^{n+1}[/itex]

Then I'm suppose to take the derivative of that right?

But how is [itex](i + 1)a^i[/itex] related to [itex]ia^i[/itex]?

... every term gets multiplied by +, how is that difference accounted for?

Thank you for your patience.

Last edited:
(i+1)a^i = i a^i + a^i

Taking sums, we get something like this:

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^n (i+1) a^i = \sum_{i=1}^n i a^i + \sum_{i=1}^n a^i[/tex]

The first term is one that you can figure out, as it's the derivative of a^(i+1), and the derivative of a sum is the sum of the derivatives, so you can represent it as:

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^n (i+1) a^i = \sum_{i=1}^n \left(\frac{d}{da} a^{i+1}\right) = \frac{d}{da} \left(\sum_{i=1}^n a^{i+1}\right)[/tex]

The third term is also simple. Using those two, you can find the value of the second term.

grief said:
There are different ways of doing this. There is a way to do it using calculus. Think about letting a be a variable, and integrating to get another expression that you know how to evaluate.

That is a standard method, but in this case you need to *differentiate*, not integrate. Think of i*a^i as a*(d/da)(a^i).

RGV

Char. Limit said:
(i+1)a^i = i a^i + a^i

Taking sums, we get something like this:

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^n (i+1) a^i = \sum_{i=1}^n i a^i + \sum_{i=1}^n a^i[/tex]

The first term is one that you can figure out, as it's the derivative of a^(i+1), and the derivative of a sum is the sum of the derivatives, so you can represent it as:

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^n (i+1) a^i = \sum_{i=1}^n \left(\frac{d}{da} a^{i+1}\right) = \frac{d}{da} \left(\sum_{i=1}^n a^{i+1}\right)[/tex]

The third term is also simple. Using those two, you can find the value of the second term.

Oh! I see. So that was what he meant.

Thanks.

1. What is the purpose of evaluating summation of multiplied terms?

The purpose of evaluating summation of multiplied terms is to find the total value of a series of numbers that are multiplied together. This can be helpful in various mathematical and scientific calculations.

2. How is the summation of multiplied terms calculated?

The summation of multiplied terms is calculated by adding together the products of each term in the series. This can be done manually, or by using a mathematical formula such as the summation notation.

3. What are some common applications of evaluating summation of multiplied terms?

Evaluating summation of multiplied terms is commonly used in statistics, finance, and computer programming. It can also be used in physics and engineering to calculate total forces or energy.

4. Is it possible to evaluate summation of multiplied terms with an infinite number of terms?

Yes, it is possible to evaluate summation of multiplied terms with an infinite number of terms. This is known as an infinite series and can be solved using advanced mathematical techniques.

5. How can errors be minimized when evaluating summation of multiplied terms?

Errors can be minimized when evaluating summation of multiplied terms by using precise calculations and rounding to the appropriate number of significant figures. It is also important to carefully check for any mistakes in the input values or calculations.