1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the order of a k cycle in group Sn

1. May 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that a k-cycle in the group Sn has order k.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm mostly confused on how to write this in math notation. I know it will have order k because a1 → a2 → a3 .... ak-1 → ak → a1 if we do the compositions K times. and so everything will get mapped back to itself and hence we have the identity permutation.

Let f = (a1,a2,a3...,ak)
    then f(a1) = a2 this is the original permutation
    then if we do the compoisition of f o f we have
    a1 → a3 , a2→ a4. .. etc. so f^2(a1) = a3
    then if we do f o f o f we have a1 → a4 so
    f^3(a1) = f(a3) = a4
    f^k(a1) = f(ak) = a1
    and this process would hold for any element in f, so we see that f^k =(1) , and so f has order of K. therefore any k cycle group in Sn has order K.

Any help is appreciated.Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2012 #2
    Looks fine to me. I guess you're looking for a more concise way of stating this fact though? You could show that for any [itex] i \in \{1,\ldots, k \} [/itex] that
    [tex] f^n(a_i) = a_{i + n \mod k}[/tex]
    which is just what you said in more words in your post. This holds for any i, so [itex] f^k(a_i) = a_{i+k \mod k} = a_{i} [/itex], and we conclude that the order of f divides k. All you have to claim is that k is in fact the smallest number and hence is the order. But I think that this is evident.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook