1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exact value of the are of the region bounded by

1. Jan 11, 2012 #1
    Question:
    Find the exact value of the are of the region bounded by:
    x^3, the x-axis and x=1 and x=4

Answer is 3.75

I tried finding the anti derivative so 1/4(x)^4, and therefore I've got 1/4(4)^4 - 1/4, which isn't the correct answer

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are integrating x^3 for x from 0 to 1, right? So the antiderivative is, yes, x^4/4 and the result is 1^4/4-0^4/4=1/4. That's what you are doing yes? You've got a bunch of what I assume are 'dashes' in the post that look like 'minuses'. That looks ok to me, and I don't see how 3.75 could be correct.

4. Jan 11, 2012 #3
    I apologize, I meant x=1 and x=4 and I deleted all the dash (there was just one)

5. Jan 11, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's different! So you did evaluate the antiderivative between 4 and 1. Then 4^4/4-1/4 is correct. And it's not 3.75. It's 63.75. A typo?

6. Jan 11, 2012 #5
    the answer in the book clearly states "3 and 3/4 units^2". If the answer is wrong than that's pretty awful, since it was the first problem. Other answers seem fine. Thanks for your help though.

If you don't mind another question I have is
    Find the exact value of the are of the region bounded by:
    e^x, the x-axis, the y-axis and x=1

I have no what to do if its bounded by both x and y axes

7. Jan 11, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The 'y-axis' is x=0, right? That makes it pretty similar to the previous question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook