Exam question, rotational motion.

In summary, two identical soccer balls, one sliding and one rolling without slipping, are released from rest at the top of a ramp consisting of a straight section and a circular section. The height of the ramp is 4.0m, and the radius of the curve is 1.5m. Using concepts of rotational and translational motion, the speed of each ball at the bottom of the curve can be found. The equation for rotational energy, I=(2/3)MR(^2), and the conservation of energy principle can be applied to solve for the speed of the sliding ball, which is found to be 8.9m/s.
Kelschul

Homework Statement

Two identical soccer balls are released from rest from the top of ramp consisting of a straight section connected to a circular section having the shape shown at right (height of ramp from where ball is released to bottom of curve is 4.0m. The radius of the curve is 1.5m). The end of the circular section of track is vertical. One ball slides down the ramp, while the other ball rolls without slipping. A soccer ball can be considered a thin-walled spherical shell. What is the speed of each ball at the bottom of the curve?

Homework Equations

I=(2/3)MR(^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have to solve one ball using rotational motion concepts, and one just regularly, right?
I think this is what I have to do, but without having mass, or any other variable I just can't figure out what equation to start with.
The only equation I can find that has height in it, which seems the only logical place to start for me is the equation for work done by non-conservative forces. I started to use this equation, but then I realized it still wouldn't help me find the speed at the bottom of the hill because I don't know mass, velocity, or the Wnc.
I'm scanning my notes like crazy trying to find an equation!

Maybe I just found something...
PE=mgh
Initial Pe is m(9.8)(4.0), Final is 0 because there is no height...
39.2m=.5mvf(^2)-0 (no initial velocity)
vf=8.9m/s for the sliding ball? right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Its definitely to do with energy considerations. One ball will have all its energy transferred to kinetic energy while the other will have a sum of kinetic energy and rotational energy. I think the last part of your attempt has touched on what you need to do and also shows that the masses cancel. Do you know the equation for rotational energy? It is very similar to translational kinetic energy.

Yes, you are correct. The equation for potential energy, PE = mgh, can be used to find the final velocity of the sliding ball. Since the ball starts from rest, its initial velocity is 0 and its final velocity at the bottom of the ramp can be found using the equation you have mentioned, vf = √(2gh).

For the rolling ball, we can use the concept of conservation of energy. At the top of the ramp, the ball has potential energy, which gets converted into kinetic energy as it rolls down the ramp. At the bottom of the ramp, the kinetic energy is equal to the rotational kinetic energy of the ball. The equation for rotational kinetic energy is given by KE = (1/2)Iω^2, where I is the moment of inertia of the ball and ω is the angular velocity. Since the ball is rolling without slipping, we can use the relationship between linear and angular velocity, v = ωr, where r is the radius of the ball.

Combining these equations, we get KE = (1/2)(2/3)MR^2 (v/r)^2, where M is the mass of the ball and R is the radius of the ball. Equating this to the potential energy at the top of the ramp, we get mgh = (1/2)(2/3)MR^2 (v/r)^2. Solving for v, we get v = √(3gh/2).

Plugging in the values for g, h, and R, we get v = √(3*9.8*4/2*1.5) = 6.3 m/s.

So, the final velocities of the sliding and rolling ball at the bottom of the ramp are 8.9 m/s and 6.3 m/s, respectively.

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. It differs from linear motion in that the object moves in a circular path instead of a straight line.

2. What are some examples of rotational motion?

Some examples of rotational motion include the spinning of a top, the rotation of a wheel on an axle, and the orbit of planets around the sun.

3. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around an axis. It is typically represented in units of radians per second.

4. How is torque related to rotational motion?

Torque is the measure of the force that causes an object to rotate about an axis. It is directly proportional to the rotational acceleration of an object.

5. What is the difference between centripetal and centrifugal force in rotational motion?

Centripetal force is the inward force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the outward force that arises due to an object's inertia. In rotational motion, these forces work together to keep an object in a stable orbit or rotational path.