1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Example: intersection of compact sets which is NOT compact

1. Apr 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let S = {(a,b) : 0 < a < b < 1 } Union {R} be a base for a topology. Find subsets M_1 and M_2 which are compact in this topology but whose intersection is not compact.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not even sure what it means for an element of S to be compact, so I haven't been able to make any attempt at a solution.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2013 #2

Bacle2

Science Advisor

I assume you're working on the real line, right?

Do you know the meaning of the terms 'open set', 'cover' and ' finite subcover'?
    I don't mean to be condescending; just to know.

4. Apr 6, 2013 #3
    I assume it is the real line, and so the topological space will be (R,S).

Yes I do know what open set/cover/finite sub cover mean

5. Apr 6, 2013 #4

Bacle2

Science Advisor

The most general definition is that a subset S is compact iff (def.) every cover of S by open sets has a finite subcover. There are more specialized results, e.g., for R^n, compactness is equivalent to being closed and bounded,and, for metric spaces you have, e.g., every sequence has a convergent subsequence, but the first one covers all cases.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted