1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Excel 2011 for Mac Mixed Reference Macros Issues

1. Mar 13, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello!

I would be grateful for your help. I've tried many many times to record a mixed reference macro on my mac, and it doesn't record a thing.
    No problems with recording separate macros with relative or absolute reference.

Problems description:

I have few sheets with tables of the same format, but the amount of data in colums is different, thus I need a macro that would have both relative and absolute references.

2. Relevant equations

I do every step exactly as they have to be done, following this instruction from 10:44 to 21:48

Let me repeat: when I separately record macros with relative or absolute references, these guys work.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    After following all steps, I check what is being recorded (the code) and it shows this (relative nothing, no steps, no records):

Sub Macro25()
    '
    ' Macro25 Macro
    ' newmacro
    '
    ' Keyboard Shortcut: Option+Cmd+q
    '
    End Sub

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can record both versions and combine their codes properly or even write the macro from scratch if changing during recording does not work.

4. Mar 14, 2015 #3
    I am not sure I am that technically informed. I presume I did write the macro from scratch, just as it is shown in the video attached. The result, well no result actually. I've tried it many many times by creating different tables.

5. Mar 14, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

No, I mean write as in actually write, like you write text here.

6. Mar 18, 2015 #5
    thank you, but I am sorry, I do not understand you. did you have a chance to check the part of video I am talking about?

7. Mar 18, 2015 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Yes.
    You can record macros, but that just allows very basic things. If you want to do more complex things, you'll have to write the macro yourself (or at least modify existing recorded code). There are tons of tutorials how to write macros.

8. Mar 19, 2015 #7
    you see, this video shows truly basic macro, and these steps work in any Excel except for my one on Mac. Shall I do something differently to make sure it works on my one too? I am not talking about profound issues; I just need to record the same thing shown in the video.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted