Excel help (V look up and a IF which are a logical and a reference.)

In summary, the conversation is about using VLOOKUP and IF functions in Excel to reference cells on another page. The speaker suggests wrapping the IF around the VLOOKUP and provides an example from their own spreadsheet. They also mention the ability to create custom IF statements.
Sirsh
Hi, Wondering if anyone can help me with figuring out of if it's possible to make a function on excel with V lookup and IF, if you can pls post an example.

Or give an example of using both of these functions in a algorithm to reference to cells on another page in excel within the function.

Thanks alot!

Technology news on Phys.org
Sirsh said:
Hi, Wondering if anyone can help me with figuring out of if it's possible to make a function on excel with V lookup and IF, if you can pls post an example.

Or give an example of using both of these functions in a algorithm to reference to cells on another page in excel within the function.

Thanks alot!
Hmm. Not sure what you need the IF for. But you're welcome to look at my spreadsheet for Maplestory. It has a nice VLOOKUP centered database. You would just wrap the IF around the VLOOKUP. It's an Excel 2007 file. Look at the part labeled "Reference Lookup" in particular (rows 25, 26, and 27).

http://www.filefront.com/15772455/Maplestory.xlsx

EDIT: You could make an if statement anyway you wanted... for example: =IF(B2>=3, VLOOKUP(#1), VLOOKUP(#2)) or =IF(B2< VLOOKUP(#1), 6, VLOOKUP(#2))

Last edited:

What is the purpose of VLOOKUP in Excel?

VLOOKUP is a function in Excel that allows you to search for a value in a specific column of a table, and return a corresponding value from a different column in the same row. It is commonly used for data analysis and organization.

How do I use VLOOKUP in Excel?

To use VLOOKUP, you need to provide four arguments: the value you want to look up, the range of cells in which you want to search, the column number of the value you want to return, and the type of match you want to perform (exact or approximate). You can then drag the formula down to apply it to multiple cells.

What is the purpose of the IF function in Excel?

The IF function is a logical function in Excel that allows you to specify a condition and return one value if the condition is met, or a different value if the condition is not met. It is useful for creating conditional formulas and performing calculations based on certain criteria.

How do I use the IF function in Excel?

To use the IF function, you need to provide three arguments: the condition to be evaluated, the value to be returned if the condition is true, and the value to be returned if the condition is false. You can also nest multiple IF functions to create more complex logical statements.

What is a cell reference in Excel?

A cell reference in Excel is the address of a specific cell in a worksheet, which is represented by a combination of the column letter and row number. It is used in formulas to refer to the value or contents of a specific cell, and can also be used to create relative or absolute references for more advanced calculations.