Exceptional books on GR and Differential Geometry

In summary, the conversation discusses various textbooks for an introduction to general relativity and elementary differential geometry. Hartle's book is recommended for its clarity and intuition-building approach, while Boothby and John M. Lee's books are mentioned for differential geometry. Other recommended books include Robert Wald's "General Relativity" for mathematical rigor and "Riemannian Geometry and Geometric Analysis" by Jurgen Jost for a geometric viewpoint. Sean Carroll's lecture notes and textbook are also mentioned as good resources. Some individuals are using Carroll's notes and Bernard F Schutz's "A First Course in General Relativity" for their GR course. Wald's book is considered a good supplement for a GR course, but may be difficult for an introduction to
Mosis
Hi all,

I'm taking an introduction to general relativity course along with an elementary differential geometry course this term. I'm really interested in this stuff and I've been waiting 3.5 years to take these courses, so I'm really excited.

Which textbooks have you all come across that introduce this material in an exceptional manner? I currently have Hartle for GR and Pressley for DG.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Here, we are using Hartle's book. I think it's very good for an undergrad. It's very clear and concise, and I like his philosophy. Before going in the gory details, he takes a lot of time to play with equations for us to gain some intuition.

I like Boothby and John M. Lee for differential geometry.

I think Robert Wald's book on General Relativity is quite good. It seems to be more mathematically rigorous, with actual proofs. My favorite for Differential Geometry is 'Riemannian Geometry and Geometric Analysis' by Jurgen Jost. The latter is very concise, although it gives a very good geometric viewpoint, for those able to take it in.

malawi_glenn said:
I've heard that Sean Carroll's texbook is good, here is lecture notes (alsmost an entire book) by him: http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9712019

I'm using those lecture notes, as well as 'A First Course in General Relativity' by Bernard F Schutz for my GR course. I find both of them very clear.

I have both Wald and Carroll.

Carroll's book is much better than his notes, more elaborate and physically motivated. The section on Cosmology is quite good. I also read Hartle's book in a bookstore today, it seemed to slouch off the rigorous mathematics in place of simpler equations.

Wald is definitely a hard, hard book; especially for an introduction to the subject. However, it is an excellent supplement to a GR course.

1. What is the difference between General Relativity and Differential Geometry?

General Relativity is a theory of gravity that explains the behavior of objects in the presence of massive bodies. It is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. Differential Geometry, on the other hand, is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of curves and surfaces in geometric spaces. It provides the mathematical framework for General Relativity to describe the curvature of space and time caused by massive objects.

2. Why is it important to study GR and Differential Geometry?

Studying General Relativity and Differential Geometry is important because it allows us to understand the fundamental principles of gravity and how it affects the behavior of objects in space. This knowledge has practical applications in areas such as astrophysics, cosmology, and space exploration. Additionally, it has led to significant advancements in our understanding of the universe and has opened up new avenues for scientific research.

3. What makes a book on GR and Differential Geometry exceptional?

An exceptional book on GR and Differential Geometry is one that provides a clear and comprehensive explanation of the concepts and theories, with well-illustrated examples and practical applications. It should also include exercises and problems to help readers deepen their understanding and apply the concepts to real-world situations. Additionally, an exceptional book should be well-researched and up-to-date with the latest developments in the field.

4. Are there any prerequisites for reading books on GR and Differential Geometry?

Yes, a basic understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and classical mechanics is necessary to fully grasp the concepts in books on GR and Differential Geometry. Some books may also require knowledge of more advanced topics such as topology and tensor calculus. It is recommended to have a strong foundation in these subjects before delving into the study of General Relativity and Differential Geometry.

5. Can books on GR and Differential Geometry be easily understood by non-scientists?

The study of GR and Differential Geometry can be challenging even for scientists, so it may be difficult for non-scientists to understand these concepts without a strong background in mathematics and physics. However, some books are written in a more accessible language and may not require a deep understanding of advanced mathematics. It ultimately depends on the individual's level of interest and dedication to learning the subject.