Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Excess electrons or protons on drop.

1. Jan 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A small drop of water is suspended motionless in air by a uniform electric field that is directed upward and has a magnitude of 8450 N/C. The mass of the water drop is 3.80 10-9 kg.

(b) How many excess electrons or protons reside on the drop?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong, but i get about 4.1071 x 10^-12 C

and for the drops i get 2.754 x 10-31

not sure why its wrong?

i used this for formula, see image: http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/6734/80350082pv3.png [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure what you're asking here really. I presume the image is the answer to the question and you're wondering why yours is different. From the 2.754x10-31 it appears you've multiplied the charge on the drop by that on a proton.

4. Jan 16, 2008 #3
    well the image has different values to be calculated, and the image was just another example to show what was going on,

the problem i calculated was different, but it should still be calculated the same.

and it should be: 2.75e+07 but not sure why???

5. Jan 16, 2008 #4

hage567

Homework Helper

I'm getting slightly different numbers than you, but are you sure you're dividing by the electron charge and not multiplying? That's the only way I can see you getting an answer with that magnitude.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook