Excitation current & primary current in transformer

In summary, the transformer equivalent circuit shows that the excitation current is only a small fraction of the primary current. This is because with no secondary load, there would be no primary current. The primary winding acts as an inductor and draws a small amount of current when connected to an AC voltage. The resistance in the equivalent circuit accounts for losses and wire resistance. The secondary current also affects the flux in the core, causing the primary current to increase in order to maintain the flux and voltage. In a well-designed and used transformer, the difference between the primary and secondary currents is very small.
CheyenneXia
Transformer equivalent circuit shows that excitation current is just a tiny friction of the primary current. I always thought the pricinple of transformer was like this: voltage on the primary winding generates the current there, then flux in the core, then voltage on the secondary winding and current.

But obviously excitation current is not the same as the primary current and only the tiny part of primary current could generate the flux in the core. But I couldn't understand. Why can't the whole primary current generate the flux on the core since the whole winding is there?

Anyone can help me with this like I just got two candies from Santa in my company :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ideally, with no secondary load there would be zero primary current. But nothing is perfect. With the secondary winding open-circuited, you have basically a magnetic core with many turns of the primary winding. This is an inductor, and you know what happens when you connect an inductor across an ac voltage—it draws some current. The resistance in the equivalent circuit is there to account for losses associated with each reversal of magnetism in the core, together with a little due to the wire's series resistance. The usual equivalent circuit is only approximate, but so long as it gets us to within a few percent of the exact answer, it is considered good enough.
http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/4666/holly1756.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The secondary's current also creates a flux, or in fact, reduces the flux, because the flux creates this current.
When a current flow in the secondary, the current in the primary has to increase to keep the flux, hence keep the primary voltage. Only the difference between N1*I1 and N2*I2 creates the flux, and in a well-designed and properly used transformer, this difference is tiny.

1. What is the purpose of excitation current in a transformer?

The excitation current is the current that flows through the primary winding of a transformer, creating a magnetic field which induces a voltage in the secondary winding. It is necessary for the transformer to function and transfer power from one circuit to another.

2. How is the excitation current related to the primary current in a transformer?

The excitation current is essentially the primary current in a transformer. It is the current that flows through the primary winding, creating the magnetic field that induces a voltage in the secondary winding. The primary current is directly proportional to the excitation current.

3. What factors affect the excitation current in a transformer?

The excitation current is affected by the voltage applied to the primary winding, the number of turns in the primary winding, and the magnetic permeability of the core material. Changes in these factors can alter the magnitude of the excitation current.

4. Can the excitation current be measured in a transformer?

Yes, the excitation current can be measured using an ammeter connected to the primary winding. This allows for monitoring and analysis of the transformer's performance and can indicate any potential issues or changes in the primary circuit.

5. How does the excitation current affect the efficiency of a transformer?

The excitation current is a necessary component of a transformer, but it also contributes to the overall losses in the system. A higher excitation current can result in lower efficiency due to increased power dissipation. Therefore, it is important to design and operate transformers with an appropriate excitation current for optimal efficiency.