1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Excitation of a hydrogen atom by electron collisions

1. Feb 29, 2016 #1
    The problem:
    A beam of electrons with kinetic energy 12.8 eV collides with a hydrogen target. What visible spectral lines will be emitted due to collisions?

My question:
    I am confident I know how to do the bulk of this question, I am just uncertain about one thing: I know that 12.8 eV is enough energy to excite a ground state electron to n=4. But can a collision from an electron with KE = 12.8 eV excite hydrogen to n=3 or n=2 as well, or must it be the highest energy state?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2016 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

The answer is clearly yes, it can also excite it to n=3 or n=2 as well as n=4. The spectral lines you see will be the transitions of n=4 to n= 3, n= 4 to n= 2, and n=4 to n= 1, along with n=3 to n= 2, n= 3 to n= 1, and n= 2 to n= 1.

4. Feb 29, 2016 #3

Charles Link

Homework Helper

In addition, it asked what "visible" lines. It appears it wants you to check the wavelengths of each of these transitions to see which ones are between 3800 and 7500 Angstroms or thereabouts...

5. Feb 29, 2016 #4
    Thank you for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted