Excited state line width and thermodynamics

In summary, the emitted photon has more energy because it has more frequency. This energy comes from the energy that was borrowed from the excited state.
Gruxg
I would appreciate very much if you could help me with a puzzling question that seems a paradox to me. Every excited state of an atom (every line of the characteristic spectrum) has a “width”: the higher the width, the shorter the lifetime of the state, and when the atom de-excitates we get radiation with a range of frequencies, not with a single well-defined one.

Well, let's suppose we excite some type of atoms using monochromatic light with a very well defined frequency (photon energy) that is near the low-energy edge of the line width. I'm not sure of this but I suppose when the atoms de-excitate by spontaneous emission they will produce a line with the characteristic width, regardless the precise frequency used for the excitation. Therefore, sometimes the photon emitted in the de-excitation has more frequency, and hence more energy, than the photon used for the excitation? Where does this energy come from?

I do not want to go off on a tangent discussing about the energy-time uncertainty or technical details about the structure of energy levels in an atom. Just: how can we reconcile this with thermodynamics?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gruxg said:
Where does this energy come from?
Temperature and pressure broadening.

Bystander said:
Temperature and pressure broadening.
Thanks, could you explain it a bit? By temperature do you mean that in the excitation and de-excitation process we would be reducing the kinetic energy of the atoms?

Anything in the excited state is able to "borrow" energy from its local environment, other excited moieties.

I don't see how your question is related to thermodynamics.
Second, this problem is a scattering process. The setup you have in mind will be exactly energy conserving.
The point is that the excitation and emission can take place at different times and the emitted frequencies will destructively interfere if they don't preserve energy.

1. What is the excited state line width?

The excited state line width refers to the width of a spectral line in an excited state of an atom or molecule. It is a measure of the amount of energy that can be absorbed or emitted by the atom or molecule in the form of light.

2. How is excited state line width related to thermodynamics?

The excited state line width is related to thermodynamics through the Boltzmann distribution law, which states that the probability of an atom or molecule being in a particular excited state is proportional to the energy of that state. This means that the line width is affected by the temperature of the system, as higher temperatures lead to a wider distribution of energies and therefore a broader line width.

3. What factors can affect the excited state line width?

The excited state line width can be affected by various factors, including temperature, pressure, and the presence of external electric or magnetic fields. Additionally, the properties of the atom or molecule itself, such as its size and shape, can also influence the line width.

4. How does the excited state line width impact spectroscopic measurements?

The excited state line width can impact spectroscopic measurements by affecting the accuracy and precision of the measurements. A broader line width can make it more difficult to distinguish between different energy levels and can lead to overlapping spectral lines, which can make it challenging to accurately determine the energy levels and transitions of the atom or molecule.

5. Can the excited state line width be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, the excited state line width can be controlled and manipulated through various techniques such as changing the temperature or pressure of the system, or applying external electric or magnetic fields. These techniques can alter the energy levels and transitions of the atom or molecule, ultimately affecting the line width.