1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exercise counter-image with two variables

1. Sep 9, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have this linear application:
    ##f : \mathbb {R}^4 \rightarrow \mathbb {R}^4##
    ##f((x, y, z, t)) = (-2x - y + t, 2x + y - t, -4x - 2y + 2t, 0)##
    and then I have this vector which I have to find the counter-image of it:
    ##\vec v = (-k, h - 2, k, h^2 - 4)##
    With ##h## and ##k## real parameters that vary.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I already found out that the matrix associated with the linear application had rank ##1##.
    So, now, I put the vector in the matrix as a column and we have:
    ##(A|\vec v) = \begin{pmatrix}
    -2 & -1 & 0 & 1 & -k\\
    2 & 1 & 0 & -1 & h - 2\\
    -4 & -2 & 0 & 2 & k\\
    0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & h^2 - 4
    \end{pmatrix}##
    I know that at this time I have to find the determinants and see what happens. The problem here is that I don't know how it works with two parameters, since I've always done it with just one. Do I have two different counter-image because of this? What does it change from the single parameter exercise?
    From what I get, the determinants are ##2x2## so the rank is max ##2##, depending on the parameters. We would have:
    ##|A'| = h - 2 - k##
    ##|A''| = -2h + 4 - k##
    ##|A'''| = 2h^2 - 8##
    If the last one is ##0## (so ##h = 2##), then the rank would be the same as the rank of the linear application's matrix, and so we could proceed. But what about the ##k## in the other two cases? Should I stick with ##h = 2## and then being forced to put ##k = 0##? Or I have to do it in a different way?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Find the determinants? I don't know what you mean by this.
    Just row-reduce the matrix above, and you should see what values of h and k must have.
    I don't know what the equations above represent. What are A', A'', and A'''?
    In my work, I found that it must be true that k = 0 and h = 2. The preimage of f (what you're calling the counterimage) is a three-dimensional subspace of R4.

4. Sep 9, 2016 #3
    Our professor taught us to find the determinants and then the rank. If the parameter is equivalent to a number that would make the rank of the ##(A|\vec v)## equal to the rank of ##A##, then we have to find the preimage by putting the number that the parameter is associated with.
    For example, if ##h = 2## this implies that ##rank(A) = rank (A|\vec v)## and so we put all in a system and start the calculus to find the preimage.

These are the three determinants that are different from ##0##.
    ##A' = \begin{vmatrix}
    1 & -k\\
    -1 & h - 2
    \end{vmatrix}##
    ##A'' = \begin{vmatrix}
    -1 & h - 2\\
    2 & k
    \end{vmatrix}##
    ##A''' = \begin{vmatrix}
    2 & k\\
    0 & h^2 - 4
    \end{vmatrix}##

Should I row-reduce the matrix always in this kind of exercise?
    I would have something like this if I row-reduce:
    \begin{pmatrix}
    -2 & -1 & 0 & 1 & -k \\
    0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & h - 2 - k\\
    0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 3k\\
    0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & h^2 - 4\\
    \end{pmatrix}
    And in a system would be:
    \begin{cases}
    -2x - y + t = -k \\
    0 = h - 2 - k \\
    0 = 3k \\
    0 = h^2 - 4
    \end{cases}
    \begin{cases}
    -2x - y + t = 0 \\
    h = 2 \\
    k = 0 \\
    h = 2
    \end{cases}
    Is this right?

5. Sep 9, 2016 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Forget determinants. In fact, why even bother with matrices? You have a simple linear system of 4 equations in 4 unknowns:
    $$\begin{array}{rcl}
    -2x-y+t&=&-k \\
    2x+y-t&=&h-2\\
    -4x-2y+2t&=& k\\
    0 &=&h^2-4
    \end{array}
    $$
    If ##h = 2## or ##h = -2## you will be left with three equations in the three unknowns ##x,y,t##, which you can just solve using elementary elimination methods faster than you could even write down the matrices. If ##h \neq \pm 2## your ##\vec{v}## cannot "come from" any ##(x,y,z,t)## via ##f(x,y,z,t)##. The variable ##z## does not appear anywhere in your ##f(x,y,z,t)## as you have written it.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  6. Sep 10, 2016 #5
    I don't understand how to resolve that system. I ended up with something like this:
    ##\begin{cases}
    -h + 2 = -k \\
    y = -2x + t + h - 2 \\
    -2h + 4 = k \\
    h = \pm 2
    \end{cases}##
    Did I do something wrong?

I don't understand what you mean by "##\vec v## cannot come from any ##(x, y, z, t)## via ##f(x, y, z, t)##". You mean that it doesn't have a preimage if it's not ##h \neq \pm 2##?

7. Sep 10, 2016 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, that is exactly what I mean: the resulting ##\vec{v}## is not in the "range" of ##f(x,y,z,t)##.

Anyway, if ##h = 2## the equations imply that ##k = 0##, and so the resulting pre-image of ##\vec{v}## is ##\{(x,y,z,t): t = 2x+y, x,y,z,\in R \}##. Now look at the other case, ##h = -2##, to see what you get.

8. Sep 10, 2016 #7
    I would have ##k = 8## and ##k = -4##, which is impossible so it HAS to be ##h = 2##, right?

9. Sep 10, 2016 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, I believe so.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted